Sunday, May 24, 2009

Praise for my Husband

Paul and I celebrated our 18th anniversary on April 27th,(see My Favorite Date from the April archives). We usually get along very well, but lately, it seems we have been doing an awful lot of bickering. All those petty little complaints pile up and before I know it, I'm looking at him and wondering, what was I thinking when I married him? To be fair, I'm sure that he often thinks the same thing when he looks at me.

Now I've been following this wonderful blog, The Prodigal Daughter, and she has some beautiful posts about the sacramental life of the vocation of marriage. I am so grateful to her for bravely posting those stories, because they have caused me to really take a closer look at my husband and to see him for the wonderful person that he is. So in the spirit of some of my other fellow bloggers (My Chocolate Heart and Carmelite Mom), I am posting a list of praise for my wonderful husband, Paul...

1. He has been faithful to me for 18 years, even when my disposition is at its worst.
2. He is a homebody who prefers a quiet night with his family to a night out with friends.
3. He plays a mean game of basketball with our sons, even if its at the end of a long work day, and an even longer night at home carpooling the kids everywhere and helping to oversee homework.
4. I love it when he curls up on the couch with Mary, sharing cucumber slices and laughing at a corny magic show.
5. He is a fabulous chef and usually has a delicious dinner waiting for me when I arrive home from work.
6. His kisses (nothing more to say...)
7. He is a wonderful, devoted father, and spends hours listening to the kids MP3 players, deleting any objectionable songs, and also spends hours looking at the kids internet histories, deleting any objectionable sites. Then he follows up with appropriate discipline if needed.
8. He has a great sense of humor and can always make me laugh.
9. He doesn't complain too much about all of the time I spend reading, blogging, praying and going to church, even though he doesn't share my level of enthusiasm for these interests.
10. He loves me. He always has and he always will.

Thank you, God, for my husband Paul. Thank you for our 18 years of sacramental union in this holy vocation of marriage. Thank you for blessing us with five beautiful children. Thank you for loving us so much. Amen.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! We will be celebrating 14 years on Monday. Marriage is a beautiful gift. May the prayers of our Blessed Mother continue to sustain you in the years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne...what a beautiful tribute to your husband. I hope he got to read it : ) I like this idea and may do one dedicated to my husband on Father's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must be something in the air... my hubby and I have had a difficult two weeks as well. Probably the most "fighting" we've ever done. It forced me to see how much I love the concept of forgiveness, but not so much the practice of it! Yikes!
    But God is good, and healing comes, and love returns sweetly again.

    ReplyDelete