Saturday, May 16, 2009

Sharing our Grief

I remember reading somewhere that whenever we cry, God is crying with us. That thought brings me great comfort.

“By the streams of Babylon we sat and wept when we remembered Zion.”
Psalm 137


Jesus,

Today I feel like sitting and weeping, and I wonder, do you feel the same way I do?

Let me hold on to you Lord, as we weep. Let us comfort each other. Sometimes weeping is the best way to get all of those unnamed bottled up emotions out. When I recognize and accept my inner emotions, I am recognizing and accepting your life inside of me.

Jesus, let us sit together by the streams of Babylon and weep. I imagine that it’s beautiful here. It’s a nice, shady spot with large trees, tall grasses, and beautiful, fragrant flowers. There is wildlife scurrying about: birds fluttering and singing nearby, squirrels chasing each other up and down trees, dragonflies gliding and hovering near the riverbank. The quiet rippling of the water brings a feeling of serenity. The blue skies with puffy white clouds that bring occasional shade from the sun all add to the perfection of this place.

Here we are, you and I, Jesus. We cling to each other in our sorrow. We hold each other up. Our tears fall on each others shoulders. Without words, we let out all of our pain and sadness. I could stay like this forever. I love you Jesus. Thank you for sharing this peaceful place with me. Thank you for sharing your tears with me. Thank you for sharing your love with me.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment