Friday, June 26, 2009

Farewell

I wrote this after witnessing Archbishop Dolan kneeling for a blessing from the people of the Archdiocese of Milwaukee during his last Mass at the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist this past Easter. His tears brought tears to everyone's eyes. I am forever grateful to have received his blessing as he made the sign of the cross on my forehead. I am forever grateful to have witnessed him embracing my children. I am a richer person because of his presence in my life.






Farewell

The spiritual giant knelt in humble prayer
The blessings of his people brought tears to his eyes

Our hearts, which had been bursting with pride and love
Now ripped at the seams, broken open by his tears

Those tears, made of Holy Water
Filled the great Cathedral
Our living saint was leaving
To bring his love to a greater horizon

Now the world will be flooded
With his sweet and gentle holiness
And we will never be the same
Without him nearby

But our souls continue to embrace him
Our hearts continue to love him
And our arms continue to ache
For the warmth of his body
Within them

God Bless You
Archbishop

2 comments:

  1. This photo is absolutely beautiful!!!

    Thanks so much for joining Benmakesten! I hope to hear from you often there! And I'm so glad to see that you are joining Pondering the Pages on Tuesdays. Lara had such a great idea, didn't she? I can't wait!

    I didn't see an email link in your profile...so I hope you don't mind me adding this here: But, Scarlet Pimpernel is one of my all-time favorite books...we have the original film...but had NO IDEA that Jane Seymour had done one also! Can't wait to try to find that!

    Nice to meet you Anne!

    God bless you and your family!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, I live near New York, and after watching the good Archbishop's warm sense of humor and deep spirituality on "Sunday Night with Fr. Groeschel" I know why you'll miss him.
    Thank you for giving him to us!

    ReplyDelete