Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thanks!/Laundry Prayer, again!

My thanks to John for helping me with the blog post yesterday. And thanks to all of you gentle readers for your kind comments! I have a feeling he'll be asking to start his own blog before long!


Yesterday was just 'one of those days'. My sisters and nieces (6 of them all together), get together for a monthly rosary night. We visit, eat and pray the rosary together, taking turns visiting each other's houses. Tonight its my turn to host. Even though it is family, I still stress about having the house clean and making a delicious treat that everyone will enjoy. Wouldn't you know that between work, picking up the kids from school(today is the last day!), shopping for a few groceries and trying to tidy up the house, the dryer broke! Two loads of wash that had to be hung on the line and it was already two o'clock in the afternoon-not much drying time! (For more on the stresses of preparing for company and putting it is the hands of God, check out Deborah's post on Journey of a Soul "Hazel's Little Way").

If you have had a chance to read my past blog "Laundry Day", you know that laundry is a major irritation for me, even though I really try to make it a prayer. It took all I had inside of me yesterday to take a deep breath and give my stress to God, and God took my stress that I offered to Him and He overwhelmed me with a feeling of peace. Hanging those damp towels and blue jeans on the line in the crisp June sunshine with the birds singing, really did become a prayer for me. I offered the worries of the cost of a dryer repair to God and allowed the rhythm of 'bending and clipping' to become a physical prayer of love. I let go of my 'Martha' and embraced my 'Mary' as I fixed my mind on the Lord instead of my worries. I know that my sisters could care less if my house is clean. I know that you, dear reader, would have been more than understanding if there hadn't been a blog post yesterday. It's so easy isn't it, to lose sight of what's important when we make up our minds to follow our self-imposed agendas of the 'perfect life'. But what I learned in my laundry meditation yesterday, was that when we give our worries to God, we can relax because His love is so much larger than any of our daily worries. All he wants from us is that we think of Him and love Him, and He will take care of everything else.

After I quietly and patiently took the clothes off the line last night, and then sat at the computer to read the blogs, I noticed so many kind comments that readers had left for John. You know it would have been an even bigger help to me had he offered to help hang the clothes instead of posting a blog for me, but like me, his heart is in prayer and writing and I totally get that. I am blessed with a wonderful son who watches the things I do, and wants to follow in my footsteps. I have no doubt that one day, God will be leading John far beyond my own humble carbon prints on this earth. It warms my heart to see that when I just 'let go', God makes everything better than I could have made it myself. The worries and stress disappeared because love and joy overcame them. I just may enjoy a quiet, old-fashioned summer in the backyard, hanging clothes on the line and giving my heart to my Savior. It seems that I may have finally learned that laundry is a prayer after all!

2 comments:

  1. It's so hard to *let go* when you are in the midst of chaos. We tend to rush about in activity forgetting all about asking God for help and the graces we need and instead try to run things ourselves. It's wonderful you were able to *let go* amongst the laundry! God is present in the most ordinary circumstances...and it is a grace you noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lovec the post ......I enjoyed reading your blog...The blog world is so new to me...Hope you will stop by for a visit. I am posting on our Disney trip now and then on to a new grandson in two weeks..

    ReplyDelete