Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Pondering Pages-When's God Gonna Show Up?


The past two weeks, for my Pondering Pages post, I have written about books from local (Archdiocese of Milwaukee) authors. Why change things when you've got a good thing going? I just finished reading When's God Gonna Show Up? by Margaret Fenelon, also a Milwaukee author.


All I can say is "WOW"! This was a great book! It was filled with short stories of finding God in the ordinary events of family life. Each vignette is followed by a scripture passage (What does Scripture say?) and a few reflection questions (What does my heart say?).

Margaret is a member of the Schoenstatt movement, so many of the stories reflect her spirituality from this perspective. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I felt that I could have written it myself, that's how well I could relate to her stories! My favorite was Easter Joy. In this story, Margaret relates the tale of her five year old son, John, who just wanted to to go confession and be free of his sins. My daughter Mary put our family through the same experience when she was five (see Mary's First Communion). It is so wonderful to witness the faith of small children. They really get it, don't they? We adults could learn a lot about faith from them!

With a humorous writing style that made me recall Erma Bombeck, Margaret's stories in When's God Gonna Show Up? reminded me that I don't have to wait for God to show up, He's already here! It's an wonderful, easy to read book and I highly recommend it!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds so good! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great. Is it easy to get copies over the net?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of this book. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete