Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Praise!



I join with Judy at "A Thankful Woman's Book of Blessings" and add my list of gratitude today.

God has been so, so busy working in my life, allowing me to witness to his greatness and I just have to share all the ways I've noticed this in the past week.

1. Last year I was a sponsor for a wonderful girl who joined the Catholic faith. One of the young men who had been in the group of RCIA candidates coaches a summer baseball league. I ran into him at a game last week. The first thing he told me was that he hadn't been going to Mass very regularly. "Shame on you!" immediately came from my mouth as if I were talking to one of my children. Surprisingly, he agreed with me that it was a shame. I left that conversation, though, feeling like I could have been so much more encouraging to him. However, there he was at the 9:00 Mass on Sunday with a big smile and wave for me! I pray that God helps him to get to Mass every Sunday from now on.

2. My friend, Melissa and her husband Adam, are expecting their first baby. Melissa and I are coworkers and neighbors. I love her! She is so sweet and a wonderful listener. Nearly every day for seven years she has listened to me go on and on about God and church and the Catholic faith. Melissa is a non-practicing Lutheran. She tells me that my stories about religion are interesting, but she never adds anything to the conversations about faith from her perspective, she just listens. Gotta love a friend like that, don't you? Anyway, last week she was complaining about how poorly she has been sleeping during the pregnancy and said "It must be God's way of preparing me to be a mother!" Well, I am thankful that Melissa is beginning to draw God into her daily conversations. After all this time, am I finally rubbing off on her?

3. My friend and coworker, Carrie,a non-practicing Catholic (doesn't anybody go to church anymore?) has two small children. Last week she asked my advice about holding her son back from kindergarten. After we talked about it for a while, I added "If it were me, the first thing I would do is pray about it." She looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, "You know, my husband and I haven't been to church in years. Maybe it's time we started going again." Wow! I pray they do!

4. Another friend (can you believe I have more than 2 friends?) had studied in the seminary quite a few years ago, decided the life of a priest wasn't for him, got married, and he has been working in the insurance field. Last spring, he lost his job. We had an opening at our parish for the director of religious education(DRE). He had applied and my husband and I had been praying for him to get this job. For the longest time, we heard nothing. Then last Sunday, the announcement was in the bulletin that he would be the new DRE! His seminary background was one of the deciding factors in hiring him. He is going to be awesome in this position! I love it when God answers my prayers like that!

5. Over a year ago, I sent my Sea Glass Prayer in to Leaves Magazine and the editor wrote to tell me that he would publish it. I've been watching and waiting...nothing! Last week, the magazine came in the mail and I had been so discouraged that it sat there in the pile of mail for three days. I had no interest in opening it because I thought that my prayer would never appear within the pages. Finally, I picked it up, ready to toss it in the garbage, but something made me skim through it first, and there it was! Hurray and thank you Jesus!

I have so much to be grateful for-don't you?

3 comments:

  1. Mom, you are right! God is always working in all of us! For instance, I have been able to see how much God has been working in you! I have been able to see how much you have grown in your faith and your love of God! I hope I can grow in my faith and love of God just as you have! Thanks be to God and may He continue to work in you! Thank you for all of the wonderful things you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh ... so many great things! Congrats on the publication of your poem! (which, by the way, is TOTALLY beautiful). What a thrill and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! What GREAT blessings!
    And what an AWESOME son you have!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for joining the meme with me!

    ReplyDelete