Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Slow Down Martha!

“Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things. There is need of only one thing.” Luke 10:41-41

How appropriate that I should be feeling overwhelmed on the Feast Day of St. Martha! Martha was a classic over-achiever, wasn’t she? There she was in the kitchen, frantic and worried about making everything perfect for Jesus, when all He really wanted was to enjoy her company. Most likely, it didn’t matter to Him at all which set of china she used or how many desserts she proudly set out. Jesus loved Martha for who she was, not for what she did.

That’s a lesson that I need to learn over and over again. It seems that in the frantic pace of life, I allow myself to get caught up in the hustle and bustle and place unrealistic expectations upon myself until I end up feeling overwhelmed, frazzled and drained. I expect instant success with any goal that I set for myself. I aim for the accomplishments that I see those around me achieving but only become disappointed in myself when I realize that I can’t attain those goals. What I am left with is unfinished stories and projects and a sense of failure.

What I fail to see is that God doesn’t care if I can’t keep up with the Joneses. All He wants is for me to take some time each day to give Him my undivided attention and love. He made me to love Him, and if I can truly love him with all that I am, then He doesn’t expect anything else from me. He doesn’t want me to be a super-author, a super-mom or a super-nutritionist. He simply wants my love.

Let me curl up at your feet, sweet Jesus. Let me gaze into your eyes and listen to your stories. Let me enjoy being with you as I put all of the pressures of my life out of my mind. Give me the gift of complete abandonment to Your love. Thank You for this gift of peace that allows me to let go of my self-imposed ambitions for the greatest joy of all, Your love. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. "I aim for the accomplishments that I see those around me achieving"

    That is very interesting and powerful statement Anne...well-put. I do the same thing at times.
    We see somethings that appears to be "good" or "worthwhile" and we automatically take it upon ourselves to be our OWN goal...even though God may not have that in mind for us at all!

    "let go of my self-imposed ambitions"

    ...more VERY powerful words.

    Thank you for this post. It has blessed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post... and something I needed to read! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, many many thanks to you Anne- for your responses and for your essays.
    My blog posting,"Depths," is one that is very dear to me, the coal mine bringing forth so many reminders.

    (By the way, in "Olympians," that's Brother Richard, who writes "Capuchin Journey." We are best of friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. something to inspire- from Brother Roger of Taize:

    http://home.gwi.net/abraham/taize1997.html

    ReplyDelete