Monday, July 27, 2009

A Smile to Start the Day

After a night of too little sleep, and an early morning routine of too much hectic rushing, stepping into the office to begin the workday can sometimes feel overwhelming. Thinking about a day with children crying, parents scolding and all of the other usual work involved in being a part of a busy office can make the beginning of a day feel long as if the end will never be in sight.

Then, along comes the cutest little three-year-old boy, with a smile from ear to ear. He is so eager to show me his teeth, and when I compliment him on his nice smile, he only smiles bigger and broader. As our family counseling session ends, I casually tell him “Keep smiling!” and he does! All the way down the long hallway, he flashed the biggest grin to everyone he passed, spreading sunshine and joy to along his way.

How easy it now becomes to add my own smile to brighten the day of everyone else I see. All it took was a happy little boy with a smile to perk me up and help me to refocus my day on joy. I'm sure he was sent to me by God to offer me encouragement. Keep smiling!

6 comments:

  1. :) **smiling**

    "This is the day that the Lord has made;
    let us rejoice and be glad in it."
    Psalm 118:24

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose that's why it often says that children keep us young, huh Anne?
    I'm so glad that little guy had a smile for you when you needed it! And I THANK you for the work that you do...helping so many people each day...I'm sure YOU have caused many of THEM to smile too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that made me smile! Thanks for brightening my Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For many summers a walk along the beach for us was a quest for sea glass!
    All those colours, shapes, each with its own history!
    This brings it all back home!

    Thanks Easter - and Anne.
    Message from Ann, or Veritas.

    Anne, check my comment box for my post with your beautiful prayer poem; and, check out Ann's blog. Ann is quite a poet; and, an author. I will include your blog on my sidebar. This week is crazy, so next week, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how contagious smiles are! They can totally change one's attitude. Thanks for reminding me. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny, isn't it, how a smile is often the thing you remember most about a person ...

    Thanks for the lift!

    ReplyDelete