Monday, August 31, 2009

All I Have to Offer

I try to take advantage of my lunch break, to sneak in some much needed exercise, not only to improve the health of my body, but also to improve the health of my spirits and allow me to continue to give the best of my service to the WIC clients whom I will see in the afternoon. So, it’s not unusual to find me walking in the local neighborhood over the noon hour.


While walking downtown in the beautiful, warm sunshine, this first really nice day after so many dreary days, my eyes were fixed on the beautiful sky. I hardly noticed the people around me, until a particular woman stood out from the crowd of college students and business people.

Although it was a warm day in which nearly everyone was casting his or her coats aside and soaking up the sunshine, she stood alone in the shade. Her body was concealed beneath a torn winter coat and a dirty hat. There were several plastic bags piled around her feet, which I imagined contained her few possessions.

Everyone hurried past as if she were invisible. I usually don’t carry any money with me on my lunchtime walks and for the first time, I was sorry about that. She held a sign asking for help.

My heart went out to her. I wanted to help, but how? So, I gave her the only thing I had with me-my smile. I looked her right in the eye and prayed that somehow, as I held her in my gaze, she would be lifted up and comforted.

Lord, let me always remember to give my all, even if all I have to offer is a smile. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Anne,
    I often pray the prayer of one of my favorite fictional characters-Fr. Tim from Jan Karon's Mitford series. He always prays, "Lord let me be a blessing to someone today." I think you were exactly that to that woman.
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful, sometimes a smile is all a person needs to get through another day. When I was in High School, my Spanish teacher's best friend killed herself, she had a very hard time with it, when she came back to school, she told us (the class) that no matter what to always smile at people and maybe if someone had smiled at her friend that day, maybe she'd still be here. It made a profound impact on me to always remember to do that.

    Beautiful post Anne!!

    Thank you for all your prayers, I appreciate them all!!

    ReplyDelete