Monday, November 9, 2009

That Sinking Feeling








Bravely I stepped out of the boat,
not with a timid toe check
but with a full body plunge.

This is easy, I thought.
I can do anything!
And my head puffed up with pride.

The swelling of my large head
pushed my eyes closed
and I lost my focus.

I became top-heavy
and began to sink,
deeper and deeper.

I spluttered and choked
on my way down as
the anchor of sorrow
from my foolishness
pulled me into the watery darkness
and I could not break free.

I need a strong hand
to reach beneath the water
and pull me back to the surface.

I need to be resuscitated
with the friendship
and love of Jesus.

I need to be reminded
to keep my eyes
forever gazing on the Lord
for only in Him can I be redeemed
from my foolish pride.

Only in Him
will my steps on the water
humbly lead me to eternal salvation.









Jesus, never let me lose sight of you.
Hold my hand and lead me across the
watery path of life straight into your heart. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I love that phrase - I need to be resuscitated with the love and friendship of Jesus. I love that picture too! One of my favorites! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,
    This is a beautiful interpretation of this Scripture passage. I always see so much of myself in Peter's impetuosity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need a strong hand
    to reach beneath the water
    and pull me back to the surface

    Beautifully said, Anne! I think we can all relate to that at some point in time in our life. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete