Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Lost in a Blog

"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and every manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich


I found a new blog this morning and spent far too much time perusing the lovely words which were written there. I was quite easily lost. Suddenly, a glace at the clock warned me that time was running out and I had better get a move on if I wanted to get the kids to school on time.

As I stood at the mirror applying the face paint and scowling at the wrinkles, my mind anxiously ran through the day to come...

I have been struggling to feel the presence of God in these last few days. I've been so busy and so stressed. My prayer has been limited and dry. And today, no Mass for me. The time had been bumped back for an all-school Mass as it is the last day of school before Christmas, and it is a work day for me. Unfortunately, it will not be a normal work day. I will go to work earlier than usual today to pick up a coworker and we will drive for an hour (in the snow) to attend the funeral of our friend's husband. I wonder why I'm bothering with the mascara as it will most likely be running down my face in an ugly mess at the funeral. I grimace as I pull my high heels onto my feet. Any other day I would be wearing pants and boots in the snow. After the funeral my coworker and I will drive an hour back to work (they are predicting an all day snow), where the clinic will be exceptionally busy with clients who are anxious to pick up their WIC vouchers before the clinic closes for the Christmas holiday. I was feeling the knot in my stomach tighten at the thought of the stress and sadness that is lying in wait for me.

Then, I heard the sound of someone pushing a shovel outside the window. I hadn't heard any of the kids go outside. In fact, it seemed unusually quiet on the home front. Our early morning hours are usually fraught with rushing, fighting and cries of "I can't find my uniform!" I looked out the back door to see Justin hard at work. The same Justin whom I complained about in yesterday's re-post.

Ah, it was another moment of grace. God is with me. He shows his love for me through my son who sees a task that needs to be done and attends to it without being told. I felt a weight lift off my shoulders a bit. All is well.

9 comments:

  1. I feel your stress Anne and will keep you in prayer during this challenging day...keep focused on the upcoming days for our Lord will come again! He will come whether you *feel* the joy or not. Be consoled that He is present within and will be even more so on the 25th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anne,
    I got chills when I read that your son Justin was shoveling snow. I knew that one act would carry you through this most difficult day. I will remember you and your coworkers in my prayers.

    Mary Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to keep things in perspective when I miss your blog Anne. Thank you for this post! Bless you and I hope your drive in the snow was not so treacherous. God Bless the friend who lost her husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs to you, (((Anne))) and prayers for this difficult day ahead. May God's grace fill your spirit "Up to the brim and even above the brim" (Robert Frost, "Birches") this day and always, you encourager-of-the-heart.

    With loving thoughts and prayers,
    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it wonderful when our children do things like that. Last week I had a meltdown and my oldest daughter put her arm around me and just gave me the best hug. It was awesome. God bless you and your co-workers today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There really are some great blogs out there. I clicked on the link and enjoyed reading some of her posts.
    Sometimes it seems that my plans always flop. I wanted this to be the best Advent ever and like you I feel stressed and my stomach is in knots. I hate feeling rushed and overwhelmed and that's how I feel this week. I will keep you in my prayers.
    Justin gave you a nice surprise, though:) God bless him! Children surprise us when we least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God is always there with us, though mostly we don't hear or feel him. And then he makes His Presence felt...the sound of the shovel, and I'll bet in the eyes of the family whose funeral you attended today. I feel for you and pray for you, for we've all had days like those you've had.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been there. What a blessing that you recognized God's gift in your son and his helping hand. I have always loved that quote from Julian of Norwich. One of my favorites that I hold onto when I need it! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness, it seems like there is a lot of stress coming out these days -- you, me, others. It *is* hard to feel God's presence when we don't have a minute to rest in Him. I hope you don't have to work for the next week or so and can get some rest and spend some time with God. Love you! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete