Sunday, January 3, 2010

Praise for Family Celebrations

"It might sound boring, but I think the boring stuff is the stuff I remember the most." Russell from the movie "Up"

In this Christmas season when families draw close to share the joy of the Incarnation, Emmanuel, God with us, my family has been blessed with many joyful occasions to celebrate with each other. For those occasions, I praise God...





1. Last Sunday 18 teens from our parish youth group gathered to Christmas Carol at Candy Cane Lane, a neighborhood of about 12 blocks where neighbors all decorate for the entire month of December to raise money for childhood cancer victims. Although it was bitterly cold, every teen had a smile on their face and joy in their hearts as they sang for this cause. The snow gently fell during "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and our finale of "Silent Night". It was a blessed evening, a gift from the Lord for the carolers, the chaperones (Paul and I), and the families who came to enjoy the Christmas lights and were treated to the bonus of Christmas carols. A special praise for my friends Steve and Kathy who organized the whole outing. Praise God!

2. I hadn't been to Midnight Mass since I was in high school, and my children have never gone. This year, my son John sang with the choir and I was scheduled to lector for Lessons and Carols and the Mass. It was beautiful and I didn't fall asleep! Praise God!

3. Paul and I took our three oldest sons to see the movie "Blind Side". It was an amazingly uplifting movie that left us all feeling good. I love a good story and enjoying it with my family makes it even sweeter. Praise God!

4. We took the time to enjoy the winter weather with a family sledding outing. Praise God!

5. On New Year's Eve we watched the movie "Up", from which the above quote comes. This was a movie with a beautiful message that the entire family could enjoy together. This particular quote stood out to me as being quite poignant. It's the simple joys, like watching a movie with the family, brushing my daughter's hair, sharing a joke with my son, or holding my husband's hand that I most treasure and will remember. Praise God!

6. Sometimes family celebrations can include non-traditional family members. My friend Karinann at Blessings for the Day has awarded me with a special "Sisters in Faith" award which I am to share with other bloggers who encourage and help me in my faith. Thank you Karinann, I feel the same way about you, as well as the other wonderful women upon whom you have bestowed this award-Judy at Benmakesten, Colleen at Thoughts on Grace and Mary at The Beautiful Gate! I would like to share this award with so many others, some who are also "brothers in faith". There are wonderful bloggers who have been with me from the beginning, some who comment frequently and others who rarely or never comment, but just knowing that you are reading my words and sharing my faith lifts me up and inspires me tremendously. I pray that I, in turn, lift you up, dear reader, and inspire you as well. I would like to pass this award on to some blog writers whose blogs are fairly new to me and yet, they feel like sisters that I have known for a long time. For these women, and for all of the blogging community, I praise God!

Kindred Spirit at A Trail of Flowers

Emily at Back Bay View

Meredith at Holy Clutter

Booklady at Okiebooklady

Ruth at Dealings with Shadows

Maria at That They May Have Life

To my spiritual sisters named above, please pass this award on to others with whom you share your faith like a sister!

I praise God for my family and the many and varied ways in which we celebrate our love for each other and our faith in God!

(Thanks to Jennifer at My Chocolate Heart for this weekly MEME)

7 comments:

  1. Praise God for you, dear Anne; your joyful ways are a great blessing! Thank you for your kindness, and I will pass it on. Russell is right: the boring stuff is the best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    If I rarely comment, Anne, it's because it would be embarrassing to write, "This is lovely!" over and over again--especially when I'm trying to appreciate your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kindred Spirit and Enbrethiliel, thank you so much for your kind comments!

    Enbrethiliel, you make me blush with your words! I know what you mean about commenting. Sometimes, I will read a post that I love, and all of the previous comments say what I would want to, but often better than I ever could. And a bigger problem for me is that I love so many blogs, I find so many different ways of coming to God through all of the varied experiences that others are willing to share, that in my desire to read so many every day, I run out of time to comment. Then, there's the problem of who to share these awards with, because I would love to give them to everybody like I was trying to generally mention in this post. The world of blogs has been a great boon to my faith and I don't know what I would do without it! You, dear Enbrethiliel, are a wise and special sister to me. I love how you always quote other blogs in your posts and then use those to build your own special story of faith. It seems as if you also learn a lot from other blogs! God bless you my sister in faith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful! Happy New Year Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your family moments with us. As you know, I am extremely nosy...can't seem to rid myself of that fault yet:)

    Anne, we are all blessed to have YOU as a sister-in-faith. Though all our blogs may differ in some ways, I am absolutely sure that everyone agrees with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Add my thanks, Anne! I'm humbled. I look forward to checking out the blogs you've honored - some I already know are good - but it's going to be hard to limit my choices for whom to pass the award. There are so many inspiring voices out there!

    Blessings in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if my earlier comment made it through! Anyway, thank you so much for this honor. I was a reader of yours long before I began Holy Clutter, and I feel grateful to be a part of your blogging circle today.

    ReplyDelete