Friday, January 8, 2010

Seven Quick Takes Vol. 2

Joining in Jennifer's Conversion Diary Seven Quick Takes with some of my favorite things that I experienced this week in no particular order...












1. Bishop Callahan, an auxiliary bishop of Milwaukee, presided at an Epiphany Mass at our parish. My sons, John and Justin served as acolytes and the rest of my family brought up the gifts. After Mass, Bishop Callahan held both of my hands within his and thanked me for all that I do. Is it possible to ever grow weary of hearing those two words-thank you?

2. An elderly man complimented me on my smile. He said he felt as if he had known me for 100 years. (Is that a compliment, or an insult?)

3. I became a camera magnet and was videotaped for two news broadcasts and "Living our Faith" an Archdiocesan television program while I was at the Solemn Vespers for Archbishop Listecki. One of the news segments made it to you-tube. Crazy!

4. Knife pierces tomato and withdraws juice. I love the sound of the knife as it scrapes against the cutting board. Preparing dinner for my family is so very satisfying.

5. My boss sent me an email wishing me a Happy Anniversary. She and I began our jobs together 13 years ago on January 6th. Not many people are fortunate enough to say that they love their jobs. I am one of those fortunate people.

6. I received a Christmas card in the mail from Archbishop Dolan! It blows me away that a man as busy as the Archbishop of New York would take the time to send a Christmas Card to a piddly person from his former diocese. Even if it was a mass sending by his secretary, it still feels good to be remembered. Keep 'em coming Archbishop, you sure know how to make a girl happy!

7. I had the opportunity to peruse my spiritual director's bookshelf, something I've long wanted to do. Fr. Don graciously loaned me a book called "Saints are not Sad" with the life stories of forty saints. It was compiled in 1949 and is very well written. So far, my favorite saint in the book is St. Malachy. This man had a sister who lived a sinful life and the good saint cut off all contact with her. After she died, he continued to pray for her soul. He had several dreams about her, first she was standing in a courtyard, complaining that she hadn't eaten in 30 days. Then he saw her at the threshold of a church, dressed in black. In the next dream she was wearing grey, within the church but not allowed to come near the altar. Finally, she was among the white robed and she shone with glory. What a hopeful image for the afterlife!

Tucked inside the pages of this book was a beautiful vintage bookmark with a picture of Jesus and the words "Good Book Good Friend". It reminded me of the lovely Holy Cards found at Micki's blog. And the words were a good description for the experience of finding a good book from my good friend, Fr. Don!

It was a blessed week, and when I am tempted to complain about the difficulties of life, I hope I will remember these seven wonderful quick takes and turn my complaints to praise!

6 comments:

  1. Dear Anne,
    One of our little ones favourite things apart from making sure we are on time for Mass, so they can get the pew we always have, the very first one. There isn't often a rush for that one. They love to take up the gifts. They ask each week if no one else is doing it and very often they do. The giant smile of thankfulness, love and pure joy of our 9 year old son as he bows and makes his way back to our pew brings tears to my eyes every time.

    I have so enjoyed your post and look forward to visitng often.
    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should link to your youtube clip so we can all be inspired!

    I'm impressed that you find time to write while working and raising a family. Having a wonderful boss is a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! Emily, I did consider linking to the youtube clip, but I'm a bit embarrassed about it. My son, however, did like to it on his blog, so, if you really want to check it out, you can find it here...http://writingsofaboydiscerninggodscall.blogspot.com/2010/01/welcome-archbishop-listecki.html

    It is a blessing to have a wonderful boss, we get along great! I only work part-time (25 hours a week) so that helps a bit with keeping up with the demands of my family and allowing a bit of time to do the things I enjoy like writing.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the clip, Anne!Your son has a nice blog, too. Prayers for him during his discernment. The clip is a nice welcome to the new Archbishop. What a beautiful cathedral!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to head over to your son's blog to check out that video clip. I absolutely LOVE Archbishop Dolan. You're blessed to have had him as your bishop, and so cool that you got a Christmas card from him! (Want to know a secret? We're going to NYC soon for a weekend, and even though I know he doesn't do Sunday Masses at St Patrick's--he goes out to the parishes on Sundays--I'm secretly hoping that THIS time he'll decided to stay at St. Pat's for Sunday Mass and we can receive communion from him, and maybe shake his hand afterward. So silly.) God bless!

    ReplyDelete