Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Simon




















While carrying the cross of unspeakable suffering,
the weight cast Him to the ground.
Without knowing why he was chosen to assist,
when he only meant to pass on by,
Simon lifted the weight to his own shoulder
and relieved a bit of misery,
allowing Him to continue on the path of our salvation.

I also carry a cross, not nearly as heavy,
but still capable of casting me to the ground,
and you are the Simon in my life that helps me to continue on;
when the pain is more than I can bear and fear holds me in its grip
it is you to whom I send my glance of sorrow.

You valiantly lift my cross onto your strong shoulder
and send your prayers to the angels
who fly at once to raise it even higher.
Suddenly, the weight becomes lighter
and the pain manageable
and I know that my cross has now become a gift
which pleases the Lord.

I could not do this on my own;
I would have been crushed beneath the wood,
but with the help of a loving Simon,
my Calvary will lead to my own Ascension
where I will be lifted up into His eternal arms of joy.

7 comments:

  1. Anne,
    Thanks for this; it is beautiful and so true. God always seems to send the Simons we need when we need them. After all, He knows what it feels like to be crushed under the weight of our sins.
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A friend in need is ...."

    Thank you, Anne, for these words.

    It's kind of funny, Anne, in my youth I envisioned a secure retirement, financially and emotionally -- and spiritually. My thoughts didn't really have any focus on friends. Now, in my later years I find that finances and emotions are not important at all, and if friends are not a part of my spiritual life (along with God), then my spiritual life is anything but secure. Without a friend, a Simon, the weight of life would indeed be heavy.
    In the "wisdom" and self-confidence of my youth, I could never see this. And even in the "Wisdom" of my years, I still would not have seen the value of even the casual friend -- the person who drops by my blog, or I theirs, and finds just the right words I need to hear, now, right now. I don't know who most of them are; I can't give them a hug. But they are the right people there at the right time, and like the cheering crowd at the stadium, they think they are just one of many. But like Simon, for me, they make a difference.
    And I thank God for every one He sends into my path, to lighten my burden, just when it seems to be getting too heavy, and I feel so alone.
    Thanks for all, like you Anne, who take the time to write the words the Holy Spirit gives to them, so that they might be seen by others, and attest to our belief.
    Thank you, God, for my friends in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful poem. How we sometimes forget when that certain special someone helps us out when we're troubled; a family member, a close friend, a co-worker. Often times we forget to really thank the person. I know I do. I wish I'd written that poem...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all need a Simon in our life.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. O enjoy your posts. This is beautiful. and I liked be not anxious's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband has been such a Simon for me over the years, especially when I was ill. After Michaela was born I was so sick, I remember how I struggled through the day and how my heart lifted when he would walk through the door :) Thank you for the beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete