Thursday, September 9, 2010

Surprise!

Sweet Sue at In Him We Live and Have Our Being has tagged me to come up with a list of the ten most surprising things about myself.

Well to be quite honest, my first thought was "This is hard. I'm pretty much an open book, everything that I want anyone to know about me, they already know!" Then I thought, "Didn't I do something like this last year? Maybe I could just cheat and repost that list!" Finally, I just thought that I would follow in the footsteps of my favorite literature heroine, Anne of Green Gables when the head of the orphanage told to her say what she knew about herself and Anne replied, "Well, it really isn't worth telling, Mrs. Cadbury...but if you let me tell you what I IMAGINE about myself you'd find it a lot more interesting." I'll leave it up to you, dear reader, to decide whether my list of ten surprising things is the truth or simply my imagination!


1. HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!! Last week in a fit of nostalgia, I picked up a DVD of the original 1970's "Electric Company" children's television show from the library and watched the entire show to the horror of my children. My favorite character from the show is "Letterman" (Do you remember?)

2. I had straight hair my entire life until my son Jack was born. Then I was blessed with the luscious curls I had always longed for! Thanks, Jack! And, I never thought I would say this, thank you hormones!

3. Keeping on the topic of hair, I am SO tired of dyeing my hair to hide the gray! I decided to let the gray show, but my sons complained vehemently. I wasn't going to let that bother me and I got pretty far by keeping my hair in ponytails all summer as my strategy. Then I started noticing other women with gray hair, and I don't know, something about the sight of all that gray made me back down and I went back to the box of dye. Now what's really funny about this is that my sister Cindy and I were going to go gray together. Everytime I'd see her, she'd confess to just using one more box because she had it at home and it would be a shame to waste it. I accused her of being a chicken. But, when I saw her last week, her gray has come in beautifully, and I'm back to dyeing! Who's the chicken now?

4. I'm beset with obsessions! Yesterday one of my sons commented that our living room is beginning to look like a shrine because I keep adding holy pictures to the walls and shelves!


5. I collect Madame Alexander dolls from McDonald's Happy Meals. Aren't they cute? I have them all on display in a cabinet and if my children try to play with them I get very upset. "Those are MINE," I tell them!

6. My sisters and I all have the same laugh. One of my nieces tells us that we sound like a bunch of cackling witches when we are together and recently, my sons told me that if there was an Olympic Event for Synchronized Laughing, we'd win!

7. My favorite artwork are the paintings and drawings that my children have done. My bedroom is decorated with framed florals that my sons painted while they were in grade school, and my office at work is enhanced by a framed portrait of myself as drawn by my daughter.

THIS IS GETTING HARDER!

8. Growing up, everyone called me Annie. Now, I'm just plain old Anne. For fun, my kids call me Mamacita.

9. I used to be a model for Vogue Magazine. (Oh, sorry, that was my imagination!)

10. My favorite part of the day is morning Mass. (But that's not really a surprise, now is it?)

If you, dear reader, enjoyed this MEME and would like to join in, or, if you found my list to be quite childish and you think you can do better, I invite you to compile a list of your own ten surprising things that hardly anyone knows about you, and if you do, please let me know, I'd love to read them and compare! And I must admit, this was lots of fun and really not as hard as I thought it would be!

(And I have to add, that although it is not part of this MEME, Fr. James Kubicki at Offer It Up has a wonderful story posted today about his mother's birthday and I'm sure if you counted you would find ten surprising things about him in his story!)

9 comments:

  1. Electric Company? Serious? I remember that show. Never knew you could actually get them. I might have to do that. I picked up some school house rock DVD's and those are still as good now as then. Hoping Electric Company is the same way, but doubt it. If your kids were horrified, my kids might like it because they are younger. Going to check it out now. Thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne...with an E. We love that series! Thank you for sharing so much about yourself. I especially liked the part about your kids calling you "Mamacita"! Humor is a big part of our household as well.

    I can also relate to the hair-dye issue. I figure I can't stop until my mom stops...there's something wrong about a daughter having more gray hairs than her mother.

    I used to watch The Electric Company and LOVED IT...just checked it out from the library last year! My sisters and I all laugh the same way, and get comments about it! AND my hair got curly after having five children! How weird that we have so much in common! I don't collect the dolls, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hair used to be straight and turned curly? Your kidding me?! I get stretch marks and you get a beautiful head of curly hair? That's just plain wrong, my friend ;) You mean Credocatholic's hair got curly, too? I think mine just fell out after I had my daughter.

    I laughed this entire post! You have quite the sense of humor. You certainly are beautiful though so maybe the Vogue comment would have worked. As for the hair dye adventures - I've had a few of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is one of the best reads EVER!
    You are younger than me so NO...I don't remember the Electric Company, but right now I wish I did!
    My hair is only wave at the bottom...what good is that I still have to curl the rest of it everyday!!!!

    Either my wonderful hubby....or my mom (we live within walking distance) dye my hair every 3 weeks....yikes, too much!!

    My idea of painting is to use stencils...I like to bake, is that creative???OH, and I can decorate wedding cakes..use to do that for a living.

    My house looks like a little chapel and my husband says "Really, do we need that new picture of Mary or another picture of Pope John Paul the II????

    My sister and I both laugh alike and we cry at anything remotely sad ( God forbide we hear Mary Poppins..feed the birds!!!! )

    It's funny...but I have always thought of you as Annie, I think I feel your youthful spirit!!!

    I always wanted to write...anything...I just wish I had all day to do it!
    And there is NO better way to start the day than morning mass..thank you Jesus!

    Maybe I should have done this as a MEME...I just got too excited!!!

    Thanks for this, it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you have hair to dye! Thanks for this post, Anne. I'm glad you liked the post about my mother's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by Anne. I love your list. Especially #9.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I came here from Mary333 and really enjoyed your post. I don't think I could come up with ten things about me, though. It's so good to read other Catholic bloggers' work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliantly done! Thanks for the chuckles. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anne: "Found" you thru Mary333 (a great gal), I just love browsing Catholic blogs and finding new ones to read. I enjoyed yours very much and have heard of meme, but never participated in one. I chuckled at what you wrote. Now, about gray hair..I prefer "silver" thank you ;)I couldn't fight it any longer and finally gave in..I love it and get many compliments. God bless you/yours. Thanks for sharing your talent. Perhaps, you can pop in on my blog some time..I have a food blog, too. Every one has to eat, ya know. N
    crookedhalocatholicblog.blogspot.com &
    cucinananette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete