Sweet Sue at In Him We Live and Have Our Being has tagged me to come up with a list of the ten most surprising things about myself.
Well to be quite honest, my first thought was "This is hard. I'm pretty much an open book, everything that I want anyone to know about me, they already know!" Then I thought, "Didn't I do something like this last year? Maybe I could just cheat and repost that list!" Finally, I just thought that I would follow in the footsteps of my favorite literature heroine, Anne of Green Gables when the head of the orphanage told to her say what she knew about herself and Anne replied, "Well, it really isn't worth telling, Mrs. Cadbury...but if you let me tell you what I IMAGINE about myself you'd find it a lot more interesting." I'll leave it up to you, dear reader, to decide whether my list of ten surprising things is the truth or simply my imagination!
1. HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!! Last week in a fit of nostalgia, I picked up a DVD of the original 1970's "Electric Company" children's television show from the library and watched the entire show to the horror of my children. My favorite character from the show is "Letterman" (Do you remember?)
2. I had straight hair my entire life until my son Jack was born. Then I was blessed with the luscious curls I had always longed for! Thanks, Jack! And, I never thought I would say this, thank you hormones!
3. Keeping on the topic of hair, I am SO tired of dyeing my hair to hide the gray! I decided to let the gray show, but my sons complained vehemently. I wasn't going to let that bother me and I got pretty far by keeping my hair in ponytails all summer as my strategy. Then I started noticing other women with gray hair, and I don't know, something about the sight of all that gray made me back down and I went back to the box of dye. Now what's really funny about this is that my sister Cindy and I were going to go gray together. Everytime I'd see her, she'd confess to just using one more box because she had it at home and it would be a shame to waste it. I accused her of being a chicken. But, when I saw her last week, her gray has come in beautifully, and I'm back to dyeing! Who's the chicken now?
4. I'm beset with obsessions! Yesterday one of my sons commented that our living room is beginning to look like a shrine because I keep adding holy pictures to the walls and shelves!
5. I collect Madame Alexander dolls from McDonald's Happy Meals. Aren't they cute? I have them all on display in a cabinet and if my children try to play with them I get very upset. "Those are MINE," I tell them!
6. My sisters and I all have the same laugh. One of my nieces tells us that we sound like a bunch of cackling witches when we are together and recently, my sons told me that if there was an Olympic Event for Synchronized Laughing, we'd win!
7. My favorite artwork are the paintings and drawings that my children have done. My bedroom is decorated with framed florals that my sons painted while they were in grade school, and my office at work is enhanced by a framed portrait of myself as drawn by my daughter.
THIS IS GETTING HARDER!
8. Growing up, everyone called me Annie. Now, I'm just plain old Anne. For fun, my kids call me Mamacita.
9. I used to be a model for Vogue Magazine. (Oh, sorry, that was my imagination!)
10. My favorite part of the day is morning Mass. (But that's not really a surprise, now is it?)
If you, dear reader, enjoyed this MEME and would like to join in, or, if you found my list to be quite childish and you think you can do better, I invite you to compile a list of your own ten surprising things that hardly anyone knows about you, and if you do, please let me know, I'd love to read them and compare! And I must admit, this was lots of fun and really not as hard as I thought it would be!
(And I have to add, that although it is not part of this MEME, Fr. James Kubicki at Offer It Up has a wonderful story posted today about his mother's birthday and I'm sure if you counted you would find ten surprising things about him in his story!)