Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Giving it Over to God

"Cast me gently, into morning,
for the night has been unkind.
Take me to a place so holy,
that I can wash this from my mind,
the memory of choosing not to fight."
The Answer-Sarah McLachlan















There I stood on the wet rocks
at the edge of the lake,
a damp chill in the air
from the recent rains of
late October.

The water was as gray as the skies
and the wind whipped my hair around my face,
catching it in my tears.
I watched the waves tumble into the shore
one after another, and I waited
trying to summon up my courage.

Slowly, I reached into my pocket
and pulled out the picture
that represented my life,
it was surrounded by the red of love.

I bent down, and released it
into the water, giving it to God.
He took it with purpose,
the waves scooping over it
and drawing it into the deep.

I waited and watched
until I could no longer see it
moving in the water,
until I was sure that this was
what God was asking of me.

Then I bravely and surely
stepped across the rocks
and into my new life,
trusting that this is what
He wanted for me.

"I will be the answer
At the end of the line
I will be there for you
While you take the time
In the burning of uncertainty
I will be your solid ground
I will hold the balance
If you can't look down

If it takes my whole life
I won't break, I won't bend
It will all be worth it
Worth it in the end
Cause I can only tell you what I know
That I need you in my life
When the stars have all gone out
You'll still be burning so bright"
The Answer-Sarah McLachlan

5 comments:

  1. Giving it over to God, for me means dying daily to self....letting go of past sins caused by me or by others. The reassurance is always knowing that He takes it with purpose...this is what gives me courage to surrender. So beautiful Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this lovely poem, Anne. He wants every bit of us, doesn't He? We can trust that He has our best interests at heart, though, and what we give to Him is changed forever by his love before it is returned to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful poem and reminder to give it all to God. Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete