Monday, October 25, 2010

A Heart Filled With Love

SACRED HEART OF JESUS, I PLACE ALL MY TRUST IN YOU!























Please brace yourself...I believe this post is the most complaining I have ever done online! Lots to offer up here!

My family and I are preparing for a very important event this Wednesday; we are all going to consecrate ourselves to the Sacred Heart of Jesus! To say that I am excited about this would be an understatement. I have been praying and planning for this day for the past month and I can't believe that it is almost here!

My sweet and wonderful friend, Fr. Jim Kubicki, SJ, has kindly offered to come to my tiny little house to celebrate Mass and to help us to consecrate ourselves to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. When I told my sisters about this upcoming event the last time we had gathered for our monthly rosary night, they all insisted upon coming over and helping us to celebrate the Mass and Consecration and to join in the celebratory dinner afterward. This means that there will be seventeen people in my teeny, tiny house, but I know that even though my husband and sons are worried about the cramped conditions that will result from so many people in our house at the same time, God will see to it that our hearts filled with love for the Sacred Heart of Jesus will crowd out any difficulties that may occur. And let me tell you, a heart filled with love was exactly what I needed to get me through this past weekend of final preparations!

My plans had consisted of thoroughly cleaning the house and baking some pies to tuck away in the freezer for the celebration of Thanksgiving following the Mass and Consecration. I woke up Saturday morning with a splitting headache. No problem, I thought, I'll just pop a few aspirins and get right to work, which I did. By noon, the work was well underway in spite of the persistent headache which did not respond to the medication.

It was just about this time when the my sister Cindy phoned to tell me the sad news that her mother-in-law had passed away from a long-term illness. The funeral will be held on Wednesday, which meant that she would not be coming to my house for the consecration, which is understandable, of course. But, I want to go to the funeral, too, as do my other sisters. So, after many phone calls, three of us who are not working on Wednesday will attend the funeral that will be held in Manitowoc which is an hour and one half drive away. I'm sure I can be back in plenty of time to put on the finishing touches for the evening's event.

By the time Saturday nightfall came, I still had a raging headache and was thoroughly exhausted, so after dropping my daughter off at a friend's house for a sleepover party, I went straight to bed. It was 7:30 pm.

When I awoke on Sunday morning, I found that the throbbing in my head had not subsided. But, I was up and at 'em because I was scheduled to read at the 7:30 Mass. My wonderful husband had gone outside to pull the van out of the garage for me, and found that our garage door had broken and would only open halfway. So, my sons Justin and Joe manually held the door up while Paul and I backed our cars out into the alley, and three of my sons and I headed off to Mass. As soon as we came back, I handed the keys to my oldest son, John, who was scheduled to read at the 9:00 Mass and to sing with the choir at the 11:00 Mass. Then I headed out in my husband's car to pick up my daughter from her sleepover party so that she and Paul would be ready in time for the 11:00 Mass.

This particular Sunday also happened to be my son Jack's twelfth birthday, so our whole family had planned to go bowling along with one of Jack's friends, as a way to celebrate the special day. While we were waiting for Paul, John and Mary to return, we noticed three ambulances and two police cars outside our house. Our neighbors across the street were all outside sobbing and holding each other. It seems that the mother of that household had just passed away after a long battle with cancer. I'm sad to say that although this family had been our neighbors for eighteen years, we barely know them and hardly ever see them except for a passing wave now and then. We did know that our neighbor who had died was quite young; only in her sixties. How strange it seemed to be celebrating a birthday with a death occuring so near. We waited until the mortician had left and things had seemed to quiet down before we left for the bowling alley.

Splitting headache intact despite having swallowed what seemed like half a bottle of aspirins, we arrived at the bowling alley and everyone succeeded in having a good time. Still, I was very glad to leave because with every crash of the pins I had thought that my head would explode.

When we arrived home, Grandpa and Grandpa Bender came over for Jack's favorite lasagne dinner and ice cream birthday cake which was soooo delicious I indulged in a second piece. (The recipe comes from my friend Fr. Don as one of his favorites as a child-I'll share it at the end of this post.)

By the time the fun and games were over, I took my headache to bed with me and gladly bid the weekend goodbye! A weekend like that made me glad to go to work on Monday morning just so I could have some peace and quiet! (Shh...don't tell my boss I said that!) No, really, it's ok, I told her myself, and besides with the sound of crying babies and toddlers all day long as the backdrop to my work environment, there is no such thing as peace and quiet at work. But, thankfully, my headache did not join me on this workday!

And now, I am sure that I have all of the difficulties and complications out of the way and I can joyfully continue on with my preparations for Wednesday's consecration with my heart filled with love! And you can enjoy a delicious dessert! Thanks for putting up with all of my grumbling! Now you have something to offer up as well!

SACRED HEART OF JESUS, I PLACE ALL MY TRUST IN YOU!
************************************************************************************
Fr. Don's Fudge Sundae Ice Cream Pie

Crust

1/4 c. corn syrup
2 tbsp. brown sugar
3 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. peanut butter
2 1/2 c. Rice Krispies

Filling

1/4 c. peanut butter
1/4 c. chocolate syrup
3 tbsp. corn syrup

1 qt. vanilla ice cream

Combine first 3 ingredients in saucepan. Cook over low heat until mix begins to boil. Remove from heat, add 1/4 cup peanut butter and Rice Krispies. Press into 9" pie pan for crust. Stir next 3 ingredients together. Spread 1/2 mix over crust. Freeze until firm. Soften ice cream slightly and spoon over crust. Freeze until firm. Allow to stand 10 minutes before serving. Warm remaining peanut butter mix and drizzle on top.

6 comments:

  1. Anne,
    Stop and think for a second- Satan does not want you to consecrate your home and yourselves to Jesus' Sacred Heart. He was doing his darndest to get in the way.
    But Jesus is stronger so I know Wednesday will be a beautiful day for your family.
    All that said- I can't blame you for complaining- I don't know how you did it all with that headache that wouldn't go away!
    I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
    Hugs & Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... maybe all that suffering was another "purification" to prepare you for the consecration. I admire how you bore through that weekend! I'm so excited for you and your family. I hope I am able to do something similar one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your tough day, Anne;-( Also sounds like Satan was trying to foil your plans. I will offer my rosary for you and your family tomorrow on your special day. I am so excited for you! Thanks for sharing your yummy dessert recipe! God Bless you and hold you close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne, sounds to me like your weekend was very Christ-like. You wore that aching crown of thorns on your head but still carried on with your vocation as a wife and mother -- in others words -- you carried on with what God called you to be. That is holy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much for your prayers! The consecration went through without it hitch-it was simply beautiful!

    Jeff, I never would have thought of a headache as a crown of thorns! What a wonderful perspective! The next time I have a headache, I will consider myself blessed to be following in His footsteps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear--you did have a lot to deal with! I read Father's report on the consecration in his blog and it sounds like the evening was a success.

    Our Legion is starting to arrange these family consecrations in conjunction with our priest.

    ReplyDelete