Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Autumn, Won't You Linger?



















melancholy sets in as moments swiftly pass
although the season is still Autumn
I feel as though I've missed its spirit...

Autumn, won't you linger
for just a little while?
I've yet to rake the leaves on a brisk day
and then jump into the pile
with the recklessness of youth.

Autumn, won't you linger
for just a little while?
I've yet to walk through the woods
and hear the leaves crunching underfoot
as blue sky peeks through now-bare branches.













Autumn, won't you linger
for just a little while?
I've yet to gather apples at the orchard,
carve pumpkins for the porch,
or pause to watch the geese flying low
on their journey south.














Autumn, won't you linger
for just a little while?
I want to taste the sweet and tart pairing
of a juicy caramel apple,
and see my breath fly away
in the early morning hours,
I long to relish the smell of musky leaves
as they decay beneath the tree,
and carry the last of the sunflowers
from the garden to the house.

Autumn, won't you linger
for just a little while?

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem, Anne. Autumn is certainly my favorite time of the year, but sadly, I am always too busy to fully appreciate it like I want to. You and I seem to enjoy very similar things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find myself with similar sentiments this year. Autumn is my favorite season, and, yet, I seem to have skipped its bliss and gained my winter melancholy a little more quickly than usual. Thank you for beautiful words, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely~ Come on over to California where Autumn is "just beginning"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful poem, Anne! I love Autumn and all the things you've mentioned here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just as I wish for Autumn to linger as I read your lovely poem...so too, do I always wish to linger HERE on your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very descriptive poem ... every word paints a picture in one's mind, the crunching of the leaves underfoot, the taste of caramel apple and the smell of musky leaves.

    Thank you Anne for one of your most wonderful poems ever.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete