Friday, June 24, 2011

Camp Jeremiah















It's that time of year again...time for St. Francis de Sales Summer Camp for boys who are considering the priesthood. My son Jack attended the middle school Camp Jeremiah with my great-nephew, Carson. Carson was a rookie camper this year, so Jack took him under his wing, since he had attended last year as well. The middle school camp was host to 26 boys this year-a record number! Camp Jeremiah was hosted by St. Francis de Sales Seminary's Vocations Director, Fr. Peter Berger, along with Deacon Ryan Preuss and seminarians Michael and Patrick. Of course, the camp would not be complete without the assistance of the Vocation's Office phenomenal administrative assistant, Susi Kurek. The weekend included opportunities for confession, time for adoration, praying the rosary at the Seminary Grotto, the Divine Mercy Chaplet, the Stations of the Cross, Liturgy of the Hours, Mass and lots of fun!

This year the camp concluded with a Mass in Christ King Chapel for the campers and their families. After Mass, the first thing Jack told me was that part of the camp included a talk by Bishop-elect Donald Hying, who concluded the session by blessing everyone's rosaries. On the long drive home from the seminary, Jack clutched his blessed rosary tightly in his hand and once we settled in back home, he gave his rosary to me, telling me that it would be a wonderful keepsake for me since my dear friend had blessed it. My youngest son, he is so sweet, loving and sensitive; if God wills it, he will make a fabulous priest some day!

3 comments:

  1. Anne,
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if a few of your kids have a vocation to the priesthood! You've certainly given them a great faith background!
    Thanks for the e-mail! I'll forward it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How precious the gift of your son! God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you know me .. I'm sitting here in a puddle of tears!

    With Warm Sincerity in Jesus’ Love,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete