Monday, December 19, 2011

The Purest Love of the Purest Life

My friend, Fr. Jim Kubicki, SJ, recently went to Rome for an Apostleship of Prayer International Advisory Council Meeting and while there he spotted this unusual picture of Pope John Paul II kissing a baby and brought it back for me because of my work with all of the little ones at the WIC Clinic. It's now framed and proudly displayed on my desk for all of the young families who enter my office to enjoy and for me to enjoy as well! When I found the following Caryll Houselander quote, I thought it was perfectly fitting for the picture, or in other words, "picture perfect"!






















"Knowing that God supplies all our necessities, and that one of our necessities is that we surrender to Him, we should not be surprised that He comes to us as an Infant: for surrender to an infant, any infant, is easy. Surely never did God receive more fully what is due to Him from man than when He was an infant. Every infant demands and receives the most complete self-giving that we are capable of. The perfection of surrender to God is Mary with the Infant Christ.

The service of the infant is a thing of love, therefore of joy. There is joy even in the saddest love; and the love of an infant, even when it has the quality of tragedy as in our days it too often has, is fundamentally joyful. It must be so, for it is the purest love of the purest life."


~Caryll Houselander, The Passion of the Infant Christ

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What an awesome picture! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for a picture of Caryll Houselander to put on a blog post I was writing and came across this picture. I don't know how you can look at it without smiling.

    AMDG,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete