Friday, January 6, 2012

How 'Bout Those Cardinals?






















Did you really think this was going to be a post about baseball? Nah-you all know me better than that-but it's those OTHER Cardinals that have my heart aflutter with joy today and in particular the one and only +Timothy Cardinal Dolan! What a thrill for those of us in Milwaukee to see our beloved former Archbishop elevated to such a high status, but of course, we all knew it was a sure thing! And my coworkers who are familiar with my frequent gushing about Archbishop Dolan and my standard line-"I love that guy!" were all rejoicing with me today at work even though none of them share my Catholic faith. His blog post about his new appointment is a beautiful example of his humility and holiness.

So I'm feeling sentimental and want to share my favorite +Timothy Cardinal Dolan story-I'm sure I've shared this one here before, but humor me, won't you?

It was the eve of my daughter Mary's First Holy Communion when the phone rang. I answered the phone and heard a man's voice on the other end asking to speak with my daughter. I nonchalantly handed the phone to Mary as if my then six-year-old daughter (she made her First Communion while in the first grade as she had begged to make her first confession while still in kindergarten) got phone calls every day. Mary spoke on the phone for a few minutes and it wasn't until after she had hung up that I finally asked her who was on the phone.

"Oh," she answered, "That was Archbishop Dolan. He told me congratulations on my First Communion." And with that she skipped back to her bedroom to play.

And I was left kicking myself for not asking who it was in the first place and talking with him myself for a while! After all, it's not every day that the Archbishop calls your house!

And my new favorite memory is this lovely letter that he sent to my son John just last week in response to a letter John sent to him as part of a homework assignment. It's beautiful and touching and you can read it here.

Congratulations +Timothy Cardinal Dolan! We are all so proud of you here in America and we are confident that the Catholic Church is in the best and holiest of hands under your guidance!

No comments:

Post a Comment