Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Veronica's Veil

"Sorrowful Mother, lift my soul as a Veronica's veil to the outraged face of Jesus. Beg him to leave thereon the image of His Holiness and Beauty so clearly impressed that the beauty of creatures may not draw me from my allegiance to the beauty of Christ."
~Fr. Gerald Fitzgerald, sP














On a distant lenten Sunday my heart broke right open and tears fell hard, body shaking with the effort of holding back sobs. I took my pain to church and spilled it out to God.

And a woman, a true Veronica, seeing my distress, intuitively understood that my lament was that of a mother for her child. She reached out to my bent over body and gently offered me a holy card with an embedded medal of Our Mater Dolorosa, Our Mother of Sorrows within it. "Something just told me to give you this," she said. And then she walked away while the words "thank you" were still warm upon my lips.

It was such a simple act. Such a loving act. She knew that my heavenly mother who suffered the most horrific pain any woman has ever endured would also understand and comfort me in my own pain. This Veronica's act reminded me to cling to my Blessed Mother who loves me so. Her holy card was a veil of love offered to one who suffers in Christ. I believe that His sacred image has been impressed forever after upon her beautiful soul and I, in return, hope to become a Veronica for others, allowing Jesus to impress His image upon my soul as well. Oh that we would all carry his beautiful countenance upon our souls-how lovely this world would become!

6 comments:

  1. This has happened to me before too, praying in church, obviously with a heavy heart, and someone reaches out to me in love and compassion. like you, I hope to do the same for someone, and knowing the grace and mercy of God, and how much time you spend in church you probably have multiple times, whether you knew it or not. Certainly you have encouraged me and others in our blogging community, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,

    You truly are a Veronica to others. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne,
    I echo DG's words. May God bless your tender heart and continue to shower you with His graces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exquisite post, Anne! I echo everyone else's words. What a blessing you are!

    Love,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  5. My heart has been broken by the news media. I discovered the hidden photographic image in the St Peters Veronica Veil and the news media wont publish the story....the alive face of Jesus Christ moments before crucifiction is now on the net for the fortunate few who see it thanks and Godbless you Vincenzo Giovanni Ruello

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart has been broken by the news media. I discovered the hidden photographic image in the St Peters Veronica Veil and the news media wont publish the story....the alive face of Jesus Christ moments before crucifiction is now on the net for the fortunate few who see it thanks and Godbless you Vincenzo Giovanni Ruello

    ReplyDelete