Monday, May 7, 2012

The Province of Joy-A Book Review

I confess that I have not been much of a Flannery O'Connor fan; I've only read through a few of her fictional books and didn't finish them as they failed to capture my interest.  So when Sr. Madeleine Cleverly of Paraclete Press asked me to read and review The Province of Joy:  Praying with Flannery O'Connor by Angela Alaimo O'Donnell, I thought that I might find a new respect for the author for whom so many people have an affection.

The Province of Joy is set up as a Daily Office with the author's reflections on the works of Flannery O'Connor as the daily lectio divina and an additional segment on daily reading and reflection.  Through the author's perspective the works of Flannery O'Connor are opened up and explored in the context of Sacred Scripture.  In addition, the author has also inserted a beautiful daily prayer to St. Raphael which was purported to be Flannery O'Connor's favorite prayer.  The book is complete with a section of prayers, poems and prose which have been noted to be favorites of O'Connor.

I found The Province of Joy to be a lovely little prayer book full of inspiration.  After reading, praying with and reflecting upon The Province of Joy, I have a new-found appreciation for Flannery O'Connor and will eagerly return to her works of fiction with a fresh perspective on her writing.

For further enrichment I invite you to visit Paraclete Press and explore all of the great Christian titles offered on their website.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this review and the link which I'll follow.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Victor! Happy reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anne,
    I have never read a book by Flannery O'Connor. As a matter of fact, I've never even heard of her! Why? I don't know. I'm a mega bookworm but this is the 1st I've heard of her. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, Flannery O'Connor was a wonderful and devout Catholic who died from lupus while she was in her 30's. She wrote a lot of fiction. Most people who have read her works absolutely love what she wrote. You can find her books easily on Amazon or I'm sure your local library would carry them as well. You can learn more about her here: http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-498

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy your book reviews, Anne! I have felt the same way about some of Flannery's fictional works and always hear people rave about them wondering what I'm missing!? I'm giving this one a try, adding it to my list:)

    ReplyDelete