Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Smell of Holiness

It's no secret that I love going to church, but I bet you didn't know that not only do I love the holy pictures, statues and stained glass, the priests,the people and the prayers, and the true presence of Christ, but I also love the smell of the church. When I open the church door and catch a whiff of melted candle wax mingled with a hint of incense from a long ago Mass I feel as if I am breathing in heaven. I'd like to bottle that smell and make it into an air freshener for my home! I'd spray it all over and then wait for my sixteen-year-old son Joe to notice it. Joe often complains that I am too holy and that I pray too much. He says that he feels as if he should genuflect every time he steps into the living room because I have so many pictures of Jesus and Mary in there. With that precious scent of church in my house I am sure he wouldn't be able to stop himself from bending his knee!  And you have to know that I would love that!

Joe also likes to complain about how long it takes for us to pray before meals, he just wants to dig right in without such a lengthy blessing. So when he sent me the link to the video below about "pre-blessed food" I just had to smile. It's classic Joe. Maybe you'll smile, too.  (Click here to view the embedded video.)

3 comments:

  1. Anne,
    Yours is not the only house in which Joe would feel like genuflecting. I have nicknamed my bedroom "the shrine". I wouldn't mind some of that air freshener either :)
    A Happy and Blessed Pentecost to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karin, the world needs more places where teenage boys feel compelled to bend their knee in reverence, doesn't it? A blessed Pentecost to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha!Ha! The video is a riot! Joe wouldn't want to walk into my bedroom, that's for sure :)

    Anne, I LOVE the smell of churches too. It reminds me of heaven. This entire post made me smile!

    ReplyDelete