Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ecumenical Ministry of Coworkers

I've got a heavy worry on my mind these days and have been feeling as if the weight of the world is upon my shoulders.  As always, it's prayer that holds me together and carries me through the difficulties of life so I rely on daily Mass to begin my days.

This morning as I was pulling out of the garage I ran over a board with nails in it and punctured one of the van's tires.  I could hear the pop as the nail broke through the rubber and knew I would not be safe to drive the van very far. So instead of attending Mass, I went to get the tire replaced.  Coming up on noontime I was sorely feeling that lack of prayer from missing Mass so I asked one of my supervisors at work if I could alter my lunch break allowing me to attend Mass at nearby Gesu parish.  I shared a bit of my concerns with her and told her that I knew I could get through the afternoon much better with a little more prayer under my belt.

She's such a kind and prayerful soul herself;  a hard-working lactation consultant devoted to helping our clients reach their breastfeeding goals.  She recently married a man who will be attending a Presbyterian Seminary in the fall.  She handed me her daily devotional prayer book and asked me if I would like to take it with me to Mass.  The breastfeeding peer counselor who was with her in the office reached out and took the prayer book and said, "Let's pray the prayer together right now!  I didn't spend enough time in prayer this morning, either."  I am tremendously blessed to work with wonderful women of faith who are open to sharing their love for Christ with anyone in need, including their stressed-out Catholic co-worker.

So the three of us gathered together and prayed over this passage:

"I am all around you, like a cocoon of Light.  My Presence with you is a promise, independent of your awareness of Me.  Many things can block this awareness, but the major culprit is worry.  My children tend to accept worry as an inescapable fact of life.  However, worry is a form of unbelief; it is anathema to Me.


Who is in charge of your life?  If it is you, then you have good reason to worry.  But if it is I, then worry is both unnecessary and counterproductive.  When you start to feel anxious about something, relinquish the situation to Me.  Back off a bit, redirecting your focus to Me.  I will either take care of the problem Myself or show you how to handle it.  In this world you will have problems, but you need not lose sight of Me."  ~Luke 12:22-31; John 16:33  (From Jesus Calling by Sarah Young)

What a perfect and beautiful passage to calm my frazzled nerves!  And as I walked over to church for the noon Mass I was comforted by that prayer and was led to pray John 16:33, one of my favorite gospels passages, under my breath, over and over again:  "In this world you will have trouble.  But take courage, I have conquered the world."


And I know that all will be well for God is in control.  I am encased in His cocoon of Light.

8 comments:

  1. I.needed.this.

    So perfect for me today Anne...I am in a worrisome state and this was quite beautiful. Inspired me enough to print it out.

    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing Theresa, how God always sends us the words we need at the time we need them the most? And it's always extra special when those words come through a friend!

    I pray that we will both be able to put our trust in Him and let go of our worries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful reflection, Anne. Why do we always forget that we aren't supposed to worry? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard not to worry, isn't it Patricia? One of my favorite quotes is Padre Pio's "Pray, hope and don't worry." Still, it's always so hard to follow his advice.

      Delete
  4. Lovely job, Anne. I needed to remember that Christ has indeed conquered the world, and that worry is a human foible. I think worry is that solitary labor pain that endures long after delivery, past kindergarten, and middle school- even up through college and onward. It is synomous with motherhood, and I'm willing to bet Our Beloved, Sinless, Blessed Mother experienced this most human emotion as well. With Her, we'll put it all in His capable hands.
    Blessings,
    Mary Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Anne, this beautiful comment could be a blog post of it's own! Worry is surely synonymous with motherhood. I am sure that you are right, how could our Blessed Mother not have worried when Jesus left her home to begin his ministry and as she watched him suffer his during his final hours. And we know that she worried as she and St. Joseph frantically searched for him in Jerusalem. I'd bet that His childhood years caused her plenty of other worries as well, just as any other mother worries for her children.

      Delete
  5. I have a book by Sarah Young. It contains excerpts from Jesus Calling and I couldn't resist buying it because of the beauty of the words. Your post shows ecumenism at its best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I had a chance to look at the introduction of Jesus Calling and was pleased to read about how the author had a conversion experience while enjoying the wonders of God's nature. Her writing from the perspective of God's voice reminds me of a spiritual director I used to see many years ago. Back then I was heavily into journaling before I began to share my thoughts publicly on this blog. She had encouraged me to silently listen to what God was telling me in prayer and then to write it in my journal. It's the same thing as Sarah Young did in writing this book. I just might have to pick up a copy of this devotional for my own library, it certainly is beautiful!

      We can learn so much from others, can't we? How blessed we are to have so much in common with others even when our own forms of Christianity can be so varied.

      Delete