Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Mass in Sacred Scripture: An e-book review

"No one else can offer me to the Lord."  ~Deacon Harold Burke-Sivers



My friends Kristina Erdmann and Therese LoCoco Milbrath have a close relationship with the vibrant and energetic Deacon Harold Burke-Sivers, and they had the honor of helping him with his latest e-book, The Mass in Sacred Scripture.  Therese recently asked me to read and review his book and it was a great pleasure for me to agree to her request.  My husband Paul and I had the opportunity to hear Deacon Burke-Sivers speak a few years ago and his message was powerful so I was expecting the same power from his book about the Holy Mass.

I have to admit that the beginning of the book explaining why there were changes to the Mass was a bit of a challenge to read and I began to worry that maybe the topic was too academic for me.  But there was no need to worry because beginning with The Order of the Mass  and throughout the remainder of this 27-page e-book, my spirits were lifted by the passion in the Deacon's words.

Deacon Burke-Sivers offers a word for word pairing of the Mass prayers with a corresponding scripture passage.  For example, in the Gloria, the words "For You alone are the Holy One" are paired with "I know who you are, the Holy One of God!"  (Luke 4:34) the scripture passage where the demons recognize the Lord.  I found this section of the book to be very powerful and it reminded me a bit of Scott Hahn's The Supper of the Lamb in his detailed explanation of the new prayers we pray at Mass


But by far it was the Questions and Answers section at the end from which I was greatly inspired.  In this particular time in history when the New Evangelization has taken a position of great importance in the Church  I found his words, "The Eucharist is not just important to evangelization; the Eucharist is evangelization!" to be a vitally important resource as we share our faith with others.

I  encourage you to order your own copy of The Mass in Sacred Scripture for a great personal resource to guide you in explaining the recent changes to the words we pray at Mass and for sharing our Catholic faith with others.  You can download the e-book at Deacon Burke-Sivers website, Dynamic Deacon.com


1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a book I need. Thanks for reviewing.

    ReplyDelete