Sunday, August 5, 2012

Picture, Picture

Do you remember the old television show, Mr. Rogers?   Who could forget that kind and gentle man who lovingly taught children about the wonders of the world around them.  One of the ways that he quietly introduced children to the wider world was through his "Picture, Picture" segment.  A simple work of art hanging on the wall would become a video screen featuring stories showing "How People Make Wagons" or "How People Make Crayons."

In the warmhearted spirit of that pleasant educator from days gone by, I offer you my own version of "Picture, Picture" as I share photos of my family and friends celebrating our faith at recent events, and through them I hope that you will be inspired by "How People Honor our Eucharistic Lord and the Blessed Mother."

This first set of pictures of from Roses for Our Lady's celebration of the Solemnity of Corpus Christi held at St. Francis de Sales Seminary during our monthly Holy Hour for Vocations. I am especially fond of the first picture of my husband, Paul,  and our three oldest sons carrying the baldaccino for Bishop Hying and the Blessed Sacrament, and you can see my youngest son, Jack, right behind them with the Roses for Our Lady banner.

















This next set of pictures is from Festa Italiana, a special ethnic festival that is held annually on Milwaukee's Lakefront. Roses for Our Lady joins many Italian Societies in attending Mass and then processing throughout the Festa grounds while reciting the rosary and offering rosaries and scapulars for donations to those in attendance at the festival.





















The following three pictures are courtesy of, and copyrighted by, my dear friend, Mary Anne Urlackis, from a recent pilgrimage that she and I both took along with about 150 other people from Milwaukee to Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine in La Crosse, Wisconsin. The first picture is Bishop Hying with me, my daughter Mary and my son John. The next is Cardinal Burke and Bishop Hying and the last picture is a close-up of Cardinal Burke's crozier. I especially love the crozier! In addition, Matt, at The Badger Catholic, has some fantastic pictures of the special Mass taken at the Shrine on the day that our group from Milwaukee visited.  Please visit his blog and enjoy his pictures that highlight the beauty of the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

5 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful and inspirational way to show how people honor our Eucharistic Lord and Our Blessed Mother.

    Your pictures are so uplifting. God bless you, your sons and your husband Anne...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great images, thanks! Religious art and imagery was so important for catechesis, especially in the early centuries when few could read. They served as a reminder of the Scripture stories they heard, and spoke directly to the soul. They continue to do so today, and now we have photographs as well as paintbrushes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is a very nice post! Love the pictures! I have never been to an actual Italian Festival even though I am Italian. I've just been to the Saint Joseph's Day Altars. This looks like a wonderful event! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Anne, I love your "picture picture!" How fortunate you are to live in a place where such celebrations of our faith are available. And to see your whole family together participating...what a tremendous grace from God. What wonderful parents you and your husband must be! May your beautiful family always be blessed...especially John, as he begins his studies for the priesthood. He is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful!

    And yes, I do remember Mr Rogers! Sadly there doesn't seem to be anything like him for Children today to watch!

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete