Sunday, January 13, 2013

Grace and Beauty

"The greatest grace God can give such a man is to send him to a trial he cannot bear with his own powers and then sustain him with His grace so he may endure to the end and be saved."
~Walter Ciszek: He Leadeth Me

I was having one of those days where the tears just wouldn't stop.  As I was fighting my sorrow, my friend Danette called out of the blue.  I freely sobbed as I shared my sadness with her and she offered me the love and compassion that comes so naturally between friends.

The next day when I arrived home from work I found a beautiful bouquet of roses that had been left on my front porch.  There was no note or card attached.  I assumed the roses had come from Danette so I called her to thank her.  My call was picked up by an answering machine and I left a quick message thanking her for her thoughtfulness, for the roses, and most of all for her friendship.  Then I was back out the door for my daughter's basketball game.

When I arrived home again there was a message on my answering machine.  A man's voice that I didn't recognize said, "You left a message on my recorder young lady but you must have the wrong number as I did not give you any roses.  Have a good one!"  Oops!  I hope I didn't get some stranger in trouble with his wife!  I can just imagine some woman asking her husband why he's buying roses for other women!  But I did like that he called me "young lady"!

My only regret was that I hadn't been praying a novena to St. Therese so that I could boast of this beautiful response to prayer.  But still, I will boast about the beautiful gift of a wonderful friend whose generosity and kindness brought warmth to my soul.  Sweet Danette acted as an intercessor on my behalf by spontaneously bringing beauty to my doorstep as an offering of joy to my family.  Was her gift an answer to prayer?  Most definitely!  Through the kindness of my friend I clearly saw the grace of God in my life.

So today I give praise and thanks to God for His grace realized through the gift of a friend, and I thank Him for roses and for answers to prayer.  I pray that God will bring an understanding and loving friend into the lives of each of His children, for aren't we are all in need of a little bit of love and beauty in our lives?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that beautiful qoute which offers me such encouragement. I have had many of "those days" lately, where the sorrow hits like a truck and the tears leak out.I will praise and thank God with you, for the good friends who are Christ to us in our struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anne for the beautiful post. I really needed to read these truths and the quote by Ciszek. Friends are precious gifts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, so glad that God gave you the consolation of a beautiful friendship in your time of need. Many blessings :-)

    ReplyDelete