Monday, January 14, 2013

Flight of the Earls-A Book Review

I received Flight of the Earls by Michael K. Reynolds from the Maximus Group in exchange for a review on this blog.  Sometimes I really struggle to keep up with my stack of reading and I am tempted to turn down book review offers, but I am so grateful that I didn't turn down this one because  Flight of the Earls was one of the most entertaining fictional books that I have read in a long time!

I couldn't wait to learn the outcome of the events captured within the pages of this book.  The author offered a Christian witness throughout the story without being at all preachy or overbearing about it.  It was simply known that Clare, the heroine, struggled with faith, and that her future romantic interest was someone who could help her find the answers she was seeking.  I also admired how real the Catholic priest in the story was portrayed.  In fact, every character seemed very real and believable.  As I read through the book I was able to picture the scenes so vividly and thought that this series might very well adapt to a successful motion picture one day.

I was captivated not only by the characters but also by the story line until the very last page and am eagerly looking forward to the next book in the series, In Golden Splendor, which will be released in July and promises to take on the story of Clare's brother, Seamus, whose American life adventure took a drastic departure from that of his sister in the midst of the story.

My favorite quote came at the very end of Flight of the Earls.  Clare's sister Cait began to cry about her family members who had been lost to the famine and to comfort her sister Clare said, "It's not ours to bear, Cait.  It's been a hard lesson for me.  We just need to be grateful.  That's all." Of all of the lessons that could be taken from Flight of the Earls, that's the one that will endure for me: suffering and loss is not ours to bear.  We just need to be grateful.

I highly recommend Flight of the Earls which is now available for purchase here.  I also recommend that you visit the author's blog which is highly inspirational and uplifting.

From the Maximus Website:

About the book: It’s 1846. When her family’s small farm in Ireland is struck by famine, Clare Hanley and her younger brother, Seamus, set out across the ocean to the Promised Land of America.
Five years prior, Clare’s older sister Margaret and her Uncle Tomas emigrated in similar fashion and were not to be heard from again. But Clare must face her fears as she lands in the coming-of-age city of New York. There she discovers love, adventure, tragedy and a terrible secret that threatens to destroy her family and all she believes.
Flight of the Earls is the first book in a historical novel trilogy, Heirs of Ireland, based on Irish immigration in the 1840s.

5 comments:

  1. Well, Anne, you know me; I'm a reader. I'll take your recommendation and let you know my thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to print yours. Hope all is well with you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds quite good! Thanks for the review of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anne...being Irish, and a writer too, this sounds interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, we've finished today. I think, in a word: Satisfying. From my knowledge of the Irish plight, this one person's lifting above the masses with great blessings is (politely) sheer fantasy. However, sometimes fantasy -- no swearing, no vulgar sex, and no hero turning into a bad guy -- is delightful, and almost surprising.

    I haven't had a fire in my fireplace in 6 years now. This would be the type of book I'd like to read, with my back to the flames and a warm glass of cab beside me.

    Someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the book Tom! Time to light up the flames once again, isn't it Tom? Maybe you'll purchase the two future books of this trilogy and enjoy them in front of your fireplace!

      Delete