Wednesday, February 27, 2013

I Want My Daddy!

"But I also receive many letters from ordinary people who write to me simply from their heart and make me feel their affection, born from being together with Christ Jesus, in the Church. These people do not write to me the way one writes, for instance, to a prince or a to great person that one does not know. They write to me as brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, with the sense of a very affectionate family tie. Here one can touch firsthand what the Church is - not an organization, not an association for religious or humanitarian purposes, but a living body, a community of brothers and sisters in the Body of Jesus Christ, who unites us all. To experience the Church in this way and to be able almost to touch with your hands the power of its truth and its love, is a source of joy, in a time when many speak of its decline." ~ Pope Benedict XVI


Recently, upon arriving for work at the WIC Clinic, (Women, Infants and Children) I couldn't help but notice a four-year-old boy hiding under the examination table in the health screening room, too afraid to come out and receive a finger-poke to check his iron.  Despite the reassurances of his mother and the health-screener, he was crying out loudly, "I want my Daddy!  I want my Daddy!"

Like that four-year-old, sometimes only our Daddy will do when we are in need of comfort and reassurance to calm our fears.

Pope Benedict's new room at the Vatican
I can't help but think of how so many people, myself included, like to refer to our Holy Father as Papa, a loving term equivalent to Daddy.  And as he prepares to step into a quiet life of prayer, there are many in our Church who are filled with fear.  We look to the past and see the sins of our Church and the trials that have beset us, and we wonder, how are we going to cope without our beloved Papa? I am reassured with the knowledge that the Church is guided by the Holy Spirit who will oversee the upcoming Conclave and will surely bring us a new Holy Father that is certain to lead us with strength, courage, knowledge and love.

Czech Cardinal Dominik Duka
And here's a great way that you can have a hand in choosing our new Pope!  There is a wonderful website where you whisper a prayer to the Holy Spirit, click the button and adopt a Cardinal to pray for as he takes part in choosing our new Holy Father.  I was blessed to adopt Cardinal Dominik Duka of Prague in the Czech Republic.  Now I know that it was truly the work of the Holy Spirit in choosing this Cardinal for me because my ancestry is Czechoslovakian, so I immediately felt a connection with this holy  man.  Of course, I was interested in learning more about him and was fascinated to discover that he has suffered greatly for his faith.  He had to delay entry into the seminary because he was forced to join the army and after his secret ordination into the Dominican order, he served underground for many years because the Communist government withdrew his license to practice as a priest.  For his work with the Dominicans and the publication of several of his books he was sentenced to serve a prison term. How I take my freedom to practice my faith for granted here in America!

Visit this website to adopt your own Cardinal.  Let's put our trust in the Holy Spirit and the power of our prayers that our new Daddy will be every bit as wise and wonderful as our Papa Benny and that he will always point us to our Daddy in Heaven, God the Father.


O Lord, Be with our beloved Pope Benedict as he retires to a life of deep and intimate prayer with you. Be with our Cardinals, as they work to place a new leader in the Chair of St. Peter who will lovingly guide our Church. And be with all of us in the Church as we yearn for closeness with you and strive to cast aside our sinful ways in favor of the holiness You desire from us. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Anne, beautifully said. I'm watching Our Holy Father's departure from Rome as I write this. I miss him so much already. I too learned about the "adopt a cardinal" web site, and have an Italian cardinal. I need to make time to go read more about him.

    Watching this morning's events on EWTN, is so inspiring, and makes me so grateful for the wonderful Church Jesus left us. I'm crying over the Swiss guards all lined up, and all the bells of St. Peter's pealing as our beloved Benedict leaves the Vatican in the helicopter.

    I hope we will soon have a new "daddy," although Papa Benedict will remain daddy in my heart until the Lord takes him. How frail he looks, this dear servant of Christ. How grateful I am that he will now be prayer support for the Church.

    God bless you. Hope John is doing well..

    ReplyDelete