Friday, February 21, 2014

A Poet, Perhaps?

 I didn't always like to write.  When the ability to send an email first came on the scene, I scoffed.  Who would want to take the time to write to someone when they could just pick up the phone and call them?

My how things change!!!  That whole attitude of laziness toward writing disappeared when depression reared its ugly head in my life and it was then that writing became extremely important to my well-being. Through the habit of daily journaling, I wrote myself out of my sorrows.  I enjoyed journaling so much that I decided that I just might like to become a writer.   I started to send some of my poems and other writings to magazines hoping to become published, but only received rejections.

So, I began Imprisoned in My Bones as a means of sharing my thoughts without the fear of rejection.  That's not to say that a good deal of anxiety didn't go into each press of the "publish" button.  When you put your life into words for the whole world to read, you fear over-exposure.  Suddenly I felt turned inside out, as though the whole world could see beyond my skin and into my very heart and soul and that was very intimidating.  But with the writing of this blog, the thought of writing a book became far removed from my mind and I was satisfied to share my amateur thoughts here, online, with you, dear reader.

Every so often people still encourage me to write a book, but I usually don't allow myself to dwell upon that prospect.  Life is wonderfully busy and full and I just haven't felt the strong desire to become published as I once did.  I've been very satisfied to write for the Lord in this little corner of the blogosphere. But recently, my dear friend Christi Jentz matter-of-factly said, "You write poems and I'll illustrate them."  And suddenly I thought, that would work!  Christi is such a brilliant artist, and if she believed I had the talent and ability to put together a book of poetry to glorify the Lord, then I guess I better listen and get busy.

So we're at the very early stages of something that will probably take several years before I feel satisfied enough to submit for publishing.  For now, Christi has been taking some of my shorter poems, or parts of poems, and painting artwork to enhance the words.  She is amazing!  Her love for her craft shows through with each prayerful stroke of her brush and her paintings make my words come alive in ways I had never imagined possible.

Please visit Christi's website, Lumen Christi, to view the first four paintings and learn more about what she sweetly calls the "Annabella Series."  The fourth in the series, "Sun-Kissed Weeds" is below.  Each of the following links will take you to the works, or works-in-progress, for the poems she has painted thus far. And, if you have any advice or expertise about publishing poems and paintings, we would be very grateful if you would share!

The Transfiguration Prayer

Soft Wood of the Tree

Blush

Sun-Kissed Weeds

finished project

details

  Sun-Kissed Weeds

I watch as the sun kisses 
the weeds in the meadow 
licking the early morning 
frost off the leaves 
in a passionate act of love 
known only to me 
and the unseen wildlife

12 comments:

  1. Wow! It was a great idea for the two of you to pool your gifts like this! Talk about glorifying God! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, you are so incredibly sweet! Thank you for your encouragement!

      Delete
  2. I like they way you set up the photo and poem on the bottom Anne. This article is very nice. Looking forward to more poems like this! Christi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christi! Please pay a visit to each of the blogs of the wonderful women who have commented here. They are all fabulous poets as well!

      Delete
  3. A Poet, Absolutely. No need for a question mark. This (these) is (are) beautiful. What a team God has brought together in you and Christi! I am in awe at the talent - and mostly I say: thanks be to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nancy, thank you so much for the affirmation!

      Delete
  4. And I second that with a "yes, definitely a poet!!!" Your poem is wonderful-- and then that incredible painting! Wow! I will be waiting for this book. What a gift of words and images to share our lovely Lord. I, too, am in "awe at the talent...". God Bless you two on your journey of bookmaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia,you are incredibly kind! You also, should be working on a book!

      Delete
  5. In response to Anne's comment- consider a book of Catholic Women Poets then :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An anthology! Yes! What a wonderful idea!

      Delete
  6. Ah, but when can I get my autographed copy? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne, these are amazing! Your short poems say so much, and Christi's art is perfect with them. I hope you do collect all of your poems in a volume someday. I would like to read the longer ones as well. I found it so interesting how you began writing..wtih the journaling. Jouranling has helped get me through the toughest times in my life. I think it's a true gift from God to be able to put down those thoughts and feelings on paper. It helps so much! I'm so grateful that you didn't keep your writing to yourself! May God bless this beautiful project you have!

    ReplyDelete