Wednesday, November 4, 2015

An Angel at Prayer

photo by Sr. Simon Grosicka taken at Calvary Cemetery, Milwaukee

The church was nearly empty so private places for prayer were abundant, but my new friend, John, just slipped right beside me in my pew, lowered the kneeler and bowed his head.  He began to pray out loud into the silent church, and, now distracted, I could no longer continue my own prayer but became lost in John's very perfect prayer.  He prayed:

"Lord, I thank you.  I thank you for sleep and I thank you for waking me.  I thank you for this time to talk with you.  I thank you for this church.  I thank you.  I thank you."

"Lord, I pray for my health.  I pray for this country.  I pray for humanity.  Lord, I pray for the Church. I pray for Pope Benedict.  I pray for Pope Francis."

"Lord, I thank you for listening to my prayer.  I wait for you to speak to me.  I come to you in prayer, Lord, on bended knee, as we should all bend at least one knee while speaking to you."

"And now Lord, I pray the words that you taught us:  Our Father, who art in heaven.  Hallowed be thy name.  Thy kingdom come.  Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.  Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.  And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.  For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory now and forever.  Now and forever.  Amen."

When it was time for me to leave for work, I touched John on the arm to say good-bye.  He took my hand and kissed it and told me that I was beautiful before wishing me a good day.

I think God sent John to me for a very special reason and that there is a lot to learn from a man with such holy and simple faith.

Lord, I thank you.  I thank you for John.

For more about John see Angels Among Us.



3 comments:

  1. Yes, John is definitely a gift from the Lord. And you are cooperating with the grace God is giving you. It would have been easy to be annoyed, or feel that your prayer time was ruined. But instead you entered into John's prayer and it became "two or more gathered in His name." I almost cried when I went back to your first article. Very touching and makes me consider what my attitude is right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much for sharing this. I think sometimes we assume prayer must be complicated or poetic. Yet, John's prayer is so simple, and yet, so right. God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, I'm here! And none too soon! What peace of spirit you possess. My reaction to a prayer intrusion would have been so different! With me, always the flesh before the divine! So, this is a good way to begin my day, to remember that diamonds don't always come sparkling; it's up to me to see it for what it is and do the polishing.

    ReplyDelete