Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Shortest and Best Homily I Ever Heard


"When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” Simon Peter answered him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my lambs.” He then said to Simon Peter a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Simon Peter answered him, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Tend my sheep.” Jesus said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was distressed that Jesus had said to him a third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep." John 21:15-17

Last night my family and I were visiting at another parish. I don't think that Father was feeling very well, and when it came time for the homily, he simply repeated several passages from the readings without expounding on them. Mary, my eight-year-old, busied herself re-reading the gospel passage from the Mass leaflet. After the homily she turned to me and said, "This is my all-time favorite reading! It's all about LOVE!!!" Her few words and her sweet smile said more to me than anything I had just heard in the homily. And she's so right, it is all about love, because God is Love and that's all we need, always!

5 comments:

  1. I agree with Colleen. Out of the mouths and hearts of babes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise daughter.

    God bless you and your family always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary is right: it is such a lovely Gospel reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very astute child. I just love it.
    This is actually the shortest homily I ever heard. (Priest was scheduled to do a Mass at a neighboring parish and had to be there quickly.) His homily was "Do good, avoid evil, remember the goodness of God." NINE WORDS that I remembered. Now thats also a great homily.

    ReplyDelete