Monday, June 30, 2014

Quiet Comfort

"Your Father knows what you need before you even ask Him."  ~Matthew 6:8

"The Lord gave me to know how displeased He is with a talkative soul.  I find no rest in such a soul.  The constant din tires Me, and in the midst of it the soul cannot discern My voice."  ~Divine Mercy in My Soul, Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska

Whenever Paul and I have an opportunity to spend a little time alone together on a date, my thirteen-year-old daughter, Mary, inevitably drills me later, wanting to know what we talked about  during our time away.  I usually reply that we didn't talk about very much, that mostly we were just enjoying the peace and quiet of each other's company wordlessly.  She's often incredulous when I share this with her, thinking that Paul and I are quite dull.  

I tell Mary that when you've been married for 23 years, simply being present to one another is often more important than words, and also that we know each other so well, we can often communicate without words.  Sometimes a look or a movement speaks volumes. For example, on a recent warm summer evening, my family and I were relaxing on the backyard deck in the grapevine arbor.  Paul followed my gaze and noticed that I was looking at the vintage metal glider with a critical eye and he knew that I was about to say that I thought it needed painting.  I didn't say anything and yet Paul asked, "What color do you want it?" He knew exactly what I was thinking.

Our prayer relationship with God is a lot like the knowing communication that Paul and I share.  He knows us so well that all we have to do is show up and be with Him.  Our gestures such as kneeling or folding our hands show our devotion. The emotions that well up in our hearts speak our needs.  We don't have to utter a single word, and yet, He knows exactly how we are feeling, what we are thinking, and what we need.  We might be sitting in God's presence, worrying about a problem at work, some troubles at home, or a friend who is ill and God says, "I see you looking at that.  Don't worry about it anymore.  I'll take care of it."

We don't always need to put forth excessive effort in prayer, rattling off the many memorized prayers of our tradition, but can simply rest in His love, trusting that all of our cares and concerns are in good hands.  It's such a comfort to know that He will always be there for us, will always love us, and will always take care of our needs just like a loving Spouse in a lifelong marriage.

1 comment: