Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Holy Face in the Way of the Cross II-Jesus is Laden with the Cross

(The second in a series of posts praying the Stations of the Cross...begin here and then follow along each day.)

In this second Station we see the Face of Christ uplifted in anticipation of oblation.  Before Pilate, Jesus is the Lamb of God; before the Cross, He is the Lion of the House of Juda, on whose countenance gleams the light of sacrifice.

Beloved Master, You have made of the instrument of Your suffering a symbol of sublimest sacrifice; Your Cross has given to every cross a hidden value that can sustain me when my own grows heavy.  In that hour, Jesus, let me glimpse the exaltation of Your Face as You embraced the Cross.

Mother, who in spirit so perfectly accompanied and shared the Cross of Jesus, assist me also to bear mine. Teach me that crosses have many disguises.  Help me to remember Jesus, that however my cross be disguised, I may recognize and accept it for love of Him.

(from The Holy Face in the Way of the Cross with etchings by Hippolyte Lazerges and reflections by Father Page, C.S.C. aka Fr. Gerald Fitzgerald, sP,  founder of the Handmaids of the Precious Blood published by  St. Columban's Foreign Mission Society)

No comments:

Post a Comment