Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Holy Face in the Way of the Cross V-Simon of Cyrene helps Jesus to carry His cross

(The fifth in a series of posts praying the Stations of the Cross...begin here and then follow along each day.)


Simon of Cyrene is more than an historic figure; he is as well a symbol of untold millions of Christians.  He did not choose the Cross, it was thrust upon him.  He embraced it because there seemed no other possible course of action, yet before he finished his forced journey, there had come to him the initial grace of realizing his privilege of sharing with the Saviour the road to Calvary.

Jesus, look upon me as You did upon Simon of Cyrene, with a love comprehensive of my limitations.  Grant me the grace You gave to him.  In so far as is necessary, force me to carry the cross, and as I bear it, awaken by Your grace in the depth of my soul appreciation of the privilege of even the most insignificant part in Your Saving Passion.

Mother of Sorrows, you who participated so perfectly in the sufferings of Jesus, secure for me the grace of a deepening love of Jesus, like that granted to Simon of Cyrene.

(From The Holy Face in the Way of the Cross with etchings by Hippolyte Lazerges and reflections by  Father Page, C.S.C. aka Fr. Gerald Fitzgerald, sP, the founder of the Handmaids of the Precious Blood, published by the St. Columban's Fathers Foreign Mission Society)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this Anne.

    When I think of Simon, I often think about the scene in The Passion where he announces to the onlookers that he is not guilty of anything, and is just carrying the cross because he has to.

    I know it's only a movie, but it really makes me think about the crosses we all carry for Christ. No, we didn't choose them, but we are certainly guilty enough to deserve them.

    God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete