Thursday, April 25, 2013

Sea Glass Life



I woke to a Sunday morning surprise-my husband suggested a walk on the beach following Mass and breakfast, a rarity.  Scanning the shoreline for fragments of color in softened shards of varied hues revealed a surprise-a clear heart with the word "life" in the middle. "Probably from a bottle of Miller High Life Beer," states the ever-practical Paul.  But me, I prefer to ponder upon it romantically, after all, the word "life" was perfectly centered within a heart.

On April 27th, Paul and I will celebrate our 22nd wedding anniversary.  Those twenty-two years have held lots of shards; pieces of broken dreams, broken hearts and shattered emotions, mixed in with colorful memories of joy, tranquility and contentment.  As we ride the waves of the years together, all of those fragments formed, like sea glass polished by the rocks, sand and waves, a strong and unbreakable bond.  Our marriage is solid like a strong piece of sea glass.  The edges of past moments of difficulty, trials, burdens and pain have become smooth to the touch and have created beautiful memories of constancy and dependability and forever love.

I love the sea glass life that God has created for Paul and I.  My prayer is that as we tumble through anniversary after anniversary into old age together, we will embrace whatever God sends our way, whether it be an abundance of clear and peaceful waters, or some stormy seas that cause us to crash about in disorientation, because all of those moments make this sea glass life of ours so gloriously rich and colorful!  

7 comments:

  1. Happiest of Anniversaries to you and Paul! Wishing you many "sea glass blessings" as the waves of life make you stronger and ever-faithful. God bless you both:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How absolutely beautiful. Have a blessed anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! Thank you for giving us a gift by sharing this beautiful reflection on the sea glass and life. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. May God continue to bless you and your family with a richly-colored sacramental life. Happy Anniversary and many beautiful, tumbling years together! Thanks for the beautiful post once again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary, Anne!! (I LOVE my sea glass! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anne, Happy Anniversary...so sorry I'm late. I love your beautiful metaphor of your marriage being like the sea glass. You always have such beautiful insights. May God grant you and Paul many more blessed years together, and much happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Staying together for 22 years is really amazing. I wonder what your secret for staying that long is. And I just want to congratulate you both on your 22nd anniversary.
    WhiteLightProductions.com

    ReplyDelete