Friday, July 5, 2013

They Leave You God

In rifling through the memories contained in my old prayer journals, I came across a few treasured quotes on God and prayer that are too good to keep to myself:


“Unlike our bodily needs, which can all be satisfied, prayer will never satisfy our spiritual need.  In prayer we only discover that our need for prayer goes on and on and on.  We have to learn to be perpetually dissatisfied.  But we can learn that this is what gives our lives that without which we could not otherwise live.  For we have learnt to dwell not on ourselves but on God.”  ~From Deep Calls to Deep by David Foster, OSB

“I have a lovely habit:  at night in my prayers I touch everyone I have seen that day; I shape my heart like theirs and theirs like mine.”  ~St. Teresa of Avila

 “I think God might be a little prejudiced.  For once He asked me to join Him on a walk through this world and we gazed into every heart on this earth, and I noticed that He lingered a bit longer before any face that was weeping and before any eyes that were laughing.  And sometimes when we passed a soul in worship, God too, would kneel down.  I have come to learn:  God adores His creation.”  ~St. Francis of Assisi

“I need to know, we tell ourselves.  No, God answers softly, you need to trust.”  ~Joanna Weaver, Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World

"Keep silent:  smile quietly when a treasured trifle is taken from you and causes you pain.  When things go of themselves, let them go-they leave you God."  ~A Carthusian

4 comments:

  1. Love these quotes Anne! I just read the Mary Heart book and that quote struck me too! Like a brick.

    I loved the one by the Carthusian...their books are always filled with peace.

    Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What quotes to begin my day! Or any time of day. Great company
    to be with...thanks Anne for posting these treasures! Now to find the books....God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These quotes are amazing, Anne! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these, Anne...trying to pick a favorite. It would probably change from day to day. But today, I especially love St. Francis on his walk with God. Truly God does "adore"...if we can use that word, His creation. Hugs to you for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete