Friday, February 12, 2010

Baby Driver

"Well they call him Baby Driver, and once upon a pair of wheels, he hits the road and he's gone." Simon and Garfunkel





















I'm now asking for the intercession and protection of St. Christopher as my oldest son, John, received his driver's license today. I am gratefully looking for his assistance in shuttling the rest of the kids around to their various basketball practices, choir practices and play dates, and running various household errands, but I am sure that Paul and I will never rest easy again! And, will I ever see my car keys again?


Prayer for Motorists


Grant me O Lord a steady hand and watchful eye.
That no one shall be hurt as I pass by.
Thou gavest life, I pray no act of mine may take away
or mar that gift of Thine.
Shelter those, dear Lord, who bear me company,
From the evils of fire and all calamity.
Teach me to use my car for others' need;
Nor miss through love of undue speed
the beauty of the world; that thus I may
with joy and courtesy go on my way.
St. Christopher, holy patron of travellers,
protect me and lead me safely to my destiny.

5 comments:

  1. This is a rite of passage, dear Anne, isn't it? I will certainly pray for John's safety; may his Guardian angel be especially watchful, and may God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Driver's license phase of life is a tough one. But the perfect job for St. Christopher. On my last day of a certain class at college, the teacher, who was Catholic, prayed for us with a St. Christopher prayer. It was beautiful and moving, especially since it was a secular school.

    PS- I love that song:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is not one of mine, but I've always thought it was clever: "May he never drive faster than his guardian angel can fly."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne- it's been exactly one week since Lisa-Marie received hers as well. We will include John prayerfully each day!
    "God? This trusting You thing? It's really hard!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll keep him in my prayers, Anne. John has a good head on his shoulders, I'm sure he'll drive carefully.

    ReplyDelete