Sunday, February 7, 2010

Praise when God says "No"

"Nonsense! Being a wife and mother is good enough for you, like your own mother!"
Fr. Fitzgibbon to Carol in "Going My Way" when she told him she wanted to be a singer.

It's been a while since I wrote about my desire to establish a Spiritual Motherhood Apostolate here in Milwaukee. My friend Marge and I had plans to connect a mother who would pray for every bishop, priest, seminarian, and religious brother in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee. That meant that we needed 800 women to sign up to become spiritual mothers, and we wanted to accomplish this before the end of the Year of the Priest. I know that many of you have been helping me with your prayers and words of encouragement and support for this endeavor.

We finally received word from Archbishop Listecki, and he does not give his approval for this apostolate at this time. He would like to focus on continuing to enhance the programs and devotions that are already in place in Milwaukee such as rosaries and Holy Hours so that these will be strengthened and renewed.

We are blessed with a wise and wonderful new Archbishop and I trust that God in His wisdom is acting through Archbishop Listecki with what is in the best interests for everybody. That doesn't mean that we can't all continue to pray for those priests and seminarians whom we know and love as well as those who we believe are struggling in their vocation. The more people who pray for our priests, the stronger our church will be.

I thank you, dear reader, for the blessings of your prayers and encouragement and I praise God for His many blessings in our lives! Our prayers were not wasted. "We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28 I believe that this "no" from Archbishop Listecki was God's way of telling me that being a wife and mother is all that He asks me to be and truly, it is a beautiful vocation, it is more than enough! Truthfully, I am relieved because I know that God can read my heart and He knew that I was worried that I might have been trying to take on more than I could handle at this time in my life. Our God is an awesome God and I praise Him whether He says yes or no! My life is in His beautiful hands now and forever. Praise God!

Thanks to Jennifer at My Chocolate Heart for this MEME.

5 comments:

  1. That word... 'accept', is ringing in my head. It's very powerful that you heard it. When I hear 'No' from anyone and I usually go kicking and screaming! I know God did answer you and it's a beautiful testimony to share! Thank you Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anne-girl, I'm sorry because I know how much you wanted this. But I have also had God tap me on the shoulder and say, "But I've given you enough to do! Why are you asking for more?" in the most loving way possible. You are a wise woman to say that God knows what is best for us. You are also wise to understand that our seminarians and priests still need lots and lots of prayer! I am joining you, as you know. And I hope many more moms will join in this beautiful cause.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing example of the "humble servant"...one who accepts God's Will even when the result is something different than expected. Thank you for teaching me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, Anne. Accepting a "no" with humility and grace is a wonderful thing. Thou art a good and obedient servant and a good mother. Thou doth setteth a good example for the rest of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne,
    I know you really wanted to hear "yes", but you have shown great strength in dealing with the "no". It doesn't even seem like a no, does it? More like a gentle push in the direction He has planned.
    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete