Saturday, February 20, 2010

Time Machine

"Going to confession is cool. It's like having your own time machine and you can travel back in time to erase the things you shouldn't have done." Joe Bender, 13 years old





















I enter the box,
heart racing just a bit
nervously wondering if I will forget
the sins I want to release.

Making the sign of the cross
with the priest instantly calms me.
I know that sin is something of which we are all guilty,
the priest takes his turn at confession, too.

I take a deep breath and begin,
soon my words are tripping over themselves
racing to get out of my system
and I end with the words-"I am truly sorry."

Now it's my turn to listen carefully
as the priest gently consoles me with words of advice
to help me live a holy life
and offers a penance to atone for my faults.

I recite an Act of Contrition
and the words I long for finally come-
"May the Lord grant you pardon and peace
and I absolve you from your sins, in the Name of the
Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen."

I step out of the time machine
to a new life of peace
cleansed of my guilt and ready to perform my penance.
Stepping back in time, I resolve to sin no more.

3 comments:

  1. I loved your son's comment! Your poem hit home, too :) It is like a time machine! I love confession, just not the time before I go in. My palms sweat and I am nervous. Not too long ago I prepared for Confession, walked in, and my mind went completely blank and I forgot my sins temporarily :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great comparison! The Sacrament of Confession is truly a wonderful gift our Lord has given us. It's such a beautiful example of how much He loves us. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful quote! I have just finished reading 'The Brothers Karamazov' where the priest says to a woman troubled by scruples, 'How could there be a sin that would exhaust the infinite love of God?'

    ReplyDelete