Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Motherhouse

My friend, Sister Doris, who plays piano and leads us in musical worship at daily Mass, is a School Sister of St. Francis. Like all of the School Sisters, she is rightly quite proud of the Motherhouse and St. Joseph's Chapel at 1501 S. Layton Blvd. in Milwaukee, WI, which retains all of its majestic beauty without any modern renovations. Sister Doris was quite excited to come across this historical brochure from the 1930's and was eager to share it with me. She told me to keep it and to share it with all of my friends and family. I don't think she realized that I would share her brochure with ALL of my family and friends throughout the world who visit this blog. Enjoy a little taste of the past:





































Sister Doris was sure to point out the balcony filled with novices.















The adoration chapel is THE MOST BEAUTIFUL place in which I have ever had the honor to adore our Lord in the Eucharist.




















The caption reads: Profession Day, the all-the-way day, when vows fasten us to Christ and to Him in endless others.









































His Eminence Cardinal Samuel Stritch visiting the children at the convent.
















St. Joseph's Chapel today-simply stunning and well worth a prayerful visit! To learn more about the convent and find the Mass schedules visit here.

3 comments:

  1. The School Sisters served at Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Glenview Illinois when I was growing up. I believe there are still one or two sisters still there. They were the most wonderful people and a particular blessing to me. I remember visiting the Motherhouse, and thinking how beautiful it was. I'm so glad that it is still in existence. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful chapel...now those sisters just need to reclaim such a striking habit also!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were such a wonderful community of very highly religious and professional women....until they went "over the falls" in the mid 1960s. Very sad to see them today.

    ReplyDelete