Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Very Rest

it's not that I don't believe that God loves me
it's that I don't believe that I love Him
not enough
something always seems to get in the way
of my complete abandonment to His heart

I want too much
I expect too much
I don't know how to release
my possessive grasp
and hold on lightly
without clinging

oh for the grace of detachment
from this world
and the pleasures it contains
in favor of what's to come
for this I pray with all my heart

"For this is the cause why we be not all in ease of heart and soul; that we seek here rest in those things that be so little, wherein is no rest, and know not our God that is Almighty, All-wise, All-good. For He is the very rest." Blessed Julian of Norwich

6 comments:

  1. "it's not that I don't believe that God loves me
    it's that I don't believe that I love Him
    not enough"

    These words, especially, touched me today. Thank you for revealing your heart, and showing me mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "oh for the grace of detachment from this world and the pleasures it contains.." Don't we all strive for that, at times more so, but it is hard, so hard to do in this world. Family, friends, work, media all pull us away. Very nice job, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The possessive grasp is very familiar to me too! Thank you....your poetry is truely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Oh for the grace of detachment..." Dear Anne, and here I was trying to stay off the computer for a few days and I cheated already :) You mentioned the words "flunking Lent" a while back and I sometimes wonder why the minute Lent comes I have the urge to gobble up everything in sight, to go on the computer for hours, to skip the dishes, etc...
    I flunk Lent almost every year :) The smiley face is because it doesn't surprise me anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blessed Julian is so wise. And your words give shape to the shadows of thoughts lurking in my mind. Thank you.

    Thank you also for the air-dry advice. I've been trying that the past few days and it is slowly slowly slowly helping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's plenty to read and re-read in this poem; and to take to heart.

    Thank you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete