Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Good and Perfect Gifts

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17
















I was overcome by sin, shaking inside and out
from the mess I had made of my life
and He offered me the Sacrament of Reconciliation
with the promise of a celebration in the end.
"Go have an ice cream cone for your penance"
the priest said.

I was feeling insignificant and invisible
looking for a little affirmation to draw me
out of my self-pity.
Father stopped and thanked me
for being a role-model by
faithfully bringing my children
to Mass each day. Those words lifted my spirits
and opened me to pay attention to others
who may be in need of a bit of praise.

I was looking for something new,
feeling worn down by the familiarity
of my faith.
He drew me to a Holy Hour
where enchantingly beautiful girls
covered their long hair with lace mantillas
and dressed in modestly long skirts;
where incense filled my nostrils and my
ears were delighted by prayers in Latin.

I wanted peace and quiet
after too many hours of frantic
weekend activity, racing from one place
to the next at a dizzying pace.
I found it in a Taize prayer service
where the hush of silence in glowing candlelight
punctuated by harmonious chants
stilled my weary soul.

I needed a smile to start my day and God blessed
me with a husband who remembers the fun of childhood,
and loves to amuse me in the most joyful of ways.
I sat behind the steering wheel of the van, ready to begin my day
and smiled at the prayer card of Archbishop Listecki that was
looking back at me-a visual sign from my husband
that he had been in the van before me and wanted to
cue me into his presence.
What he didn't know was that was the day of the week
which I had signed up to pray the rosary for the good Archbishop,
and my husband's little prank
was a pleasant reminder to do just that.

God always knows what I need-whether it be
forgiveness
a little praise
a unique way to pray
peace and quiet
a smile
or a reminder to pray for others-
He always makes sure that I receive it!

Praise be our God who cares for us so well!

4 comments:

  1. "Father Knows Best". This is so uplifting, I just love it! God bless you and your wonderful gifts which you so generously share with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing so well here, Anne. Thank you for sharing your beautiful thougths with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing to have such access to the sacraments! I love Taize, long for it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Anne! This post is awesome!
    It should be a chapter in Colleen Spiro's "Blueberry Muffins" book!!!! Perhaps one day we can get her to write a second edition that contains stories of God from others!!! LOL
    Your husband is so thoughtful :)

    ReplyDelete