Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Cardinal


















What is it about the song of the cardinal that always stops me in my tracks? His voice, full of praise for God, speaks to me. No matter what I may be doing, I must stop and look for that royal red bird that calls out so strong and clear.

Sometimes he's found on an electric wire, his bright red feathers standing out against the pale blue sky. Other times, he is hidden in the branches of the tree and I can barely detect his presence but for his loud call that gives his hiding place away.

It's as if hearing him isn't enough. I must see him as well. Once I've rested my eyes upon his regal sight, with that crown of feathers pointing up to heaven, I can continue again with my busyness. Now I'm content to listen to his voice calling out songs of praise to God, and my heart sings along.

5 comments:

  1. We don't have cardinals in the UK. Apart from a few religious ones, who don't sing as good as your bird.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very funny Victor! That's so interesting that you don't have cardinals in the UK! I guess I never thought about that before, but like many other animals that are only found in certain regions of the world, birds must stick close to certain zones as well. Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be watching for my sign from God today. Maybe it will be a cardinal! I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne,
    God's creatures seem to just know how to praise Him and do what He has created them to do (well at least the non-human ones :).
    Thanks for bringing this beautiful bird to our attention.
    There is an award for you at my Blessings blog:
    http://daysblessings.blogspot.com/2009/12/gift-of-friendship.html

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cardinals always remind me of something very old, from another time. That ancient weathered head...

    ReplyDelete