Monday, December 7, 2009

Jesus and Heaven

"Then astonishment seized them all and they glorified God, and, struck with awe, they said, "We have seen incredible things today." Luke 5:26

I'm always looking for the presence of Christ within others, especially within the clients I serve at the WIC Clinic. I'll never forget the day when He made it so easy to see Him, I didn't have to look hard at all. He showed His presence to me through the wonderful names of two darling children...

I pulled a chart from the box and glanced at the name of the client. It read "Jesus". Thinking the family was of Hispanic background, I pronounced the name as "Hey-zeus". The child's mother stood up and said "We're not Hispanic, his name is "Jesus"! Little Jesus was a sweet little two year old boy who was more interested in playing with my computer than with the basket of toys that I keep in my office to entertain the little ones. When Jesus and him mom left my office after our visit, I still had a smile on my face as I took the next chart.


This time, to my great surprise, the client was a precious six-month-old baby girl named "Heaven". I saw Jesus and Heaven all on the same day! I am unbelievably blessed and can't wait for the day when I will see the real Jesus and the real Heaven for all of eternity instead of lovely namesakes for a few short minutes.

This little sign of future joy was all it took to turn an ordinary day into a hope-filled day. Have you ever had a little sign like this to keep you going and move you forward in this exile here on earth?

Come, Lord Jesus, come.

6 comments:

  1. That is an amazing story - let me know if Joan of Arc walks into your office. She is my favorit saint and I plan on doing a blog entery on her. What that has to do with Advent is beyound me. Just thought I share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, very cool! I always thought it would be presumptious to name a child Jesus. It just seems to be a name fit for only One ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this uplifting post, it made me smile too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will look for Jesus and Heaven tonight at work. They just may appear with different names though ;).

    Mary Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when you write about your day at work :)

    ReplyDelete